PDA

View Full Version : Halo multiplayer on dreamcast

reliantkcar
March 24th, 2008, 04:49
I was looking at my halo disk and most of the multi-player maps and the system files fit on a cd rom.

I know it's a longshot but can't the default.xbe be altered into a 1st_read.bin for the dreamcast so the game can run.

I know it would need to be tweakd alor but from what i've read with the right developers the dreamcast is capable of 4 times the graphics of quake 3 arena wich in my opinion halo fits the bill.

if only the engine can be modified to take advantage of the SH-4 cpu and the Powe VR2 chipset it would be nice............

fackue
March 24th, 2008, 06:03
No, not possible.

ExcruciationX
March 24th, 2008, 06:04
That's just not possible, dude.

First of all, you'd need the souce code of Halo to be able to compile it into a 1st_read.bin file. If you've played Unreal, you know it slows down in slightly large areas, and that's with crappy graphics. Halo has tons of large areas and good graphics.

reliantkcar
March 26th, 2008, 16:06
what about outtrigger, decent graphics lightng effects and 60fps even in 4 player split screen on the biggest levels.....
halo on xbox can't even do that.....

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/games/reviews/outtrigger/

Maturion
March 27th, 2008, 11:47
The biggest problem is, that the source code is not available. You cannot port a game without that.

reliantkcar
April 7th, 2008, 23:39
whats Halo CE then how did they make a custom edition without the source code

Dreamcast270mhz
January 5th, 2009, 21:35
oh, there is a way, you could break the file on the PC version and get the raw code like that, my friend did it for the closed source of Final Fantasy 7. of course, that is illegal

Smurph
January 6th, 2009, 03:20
oh, there is a way, you could break the file on the PC version and get the raw code like that, my friend did it for the closed source of Final Fantasy 7. of course, that is illegal

What the hell are you talking about? One can disassemble a binary and reverse-engineer sourcecode from translating the instructions, but that requires far, far too much time and effort, and is pretty much not worth it, and you still won't have the original sourcecode.

Your friend must be very smart and have far too much free time on his hands, or one (or both) of you is lying.

Downsider
January 15th, 2009, 03:35
Halo CE was made by the people who own the code, methinks.

Jareth247
January 15th, 2009, 07:53
Maybe a Quake mod made with the DreamCast in mind, perhaps?

Downsider
January 15th, 2009, 12:28
What the hell are you talking about? One can disassemble a binary and reverse-engineer sourcecode from translating the instructions, but that requires far, far too much time and effort, and is pretty much not worth it, and you still won't have the original sourcecode.

Your friend must be very smart and have far too much free time on his hands, or one (or both) of you is lying.

It was done to Sonic the Hedgehog in an effort to get a perfect port to the GBA. You can find it around.. Needless to say, it WAS a lot of work, and FF7's engine is a Hell of a lot more work.

nuttydave127
August 20th, 2009, 09:39
thats awesome

Eviltaco64
August 20th, 2009, 10:37
The only way you're ever going to be running Halo on the Dreamcast is through modding an open source Dreamcast FPS to play and feel like Halo or by completely reverse-engineering the game and porting it to the Dreamcast (both would take one hell of a lot more time and effort than buying a used Xbox and a copy of Halo 1 or 2).

Don't bump old threads. Locked.