PDA

View Full Version : How to check UMD region code?

dreadsofcrass
March 24th, 2008, 05:21
How do you check a ripped UMD video ISO region code?

MicroNut
March 24th, 2008, 08:54
I don't know of any way of checking the UMD Video ISO region other than looking at the box the UMD movie came in.

However, you can try using UMD Emulator V0.8C (http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=911) to play the video with these settings:

>ISO emulation mode - system menu
>Disctype ISO - video
>Disctype UMD - game (if you have UMD Game in UMDDrive or UMD Movie in UMDDrive )
>Updater icon - remove
>Use boot.bin - on
>Region overdrive - on
>All "Regioncode ..." - regionfree

Then launch your .iso movie
It will take you back to the main dash
Then just go to movie/umd it should start playing!

If it works thanks go to: x3sphere for fixing 3.x compatibility (Make sure to get the zip linked to in the Exophase forum)
And DaShiZNiT for recognizing that crashing back to main dash doesn't mean that the video iso wasn't mounted successfully.

Triv1um
March 24th, 2008, 11:40
Well if you want to play them on PSP and you have custom FW you can region free it anyway.

I know this works with Games, but if you open up the ISO in Poweriso. And open up the UMD_DATA.bin in notepad.

You will see of code like this XXXX-xxxxx right at the start.

Google that exact code, and the first result will be from the official sony website telling you the UMD and region.

Also, i 'think' SLES is PAL and ULUS is ntsc

But of course, it could be totally different because its a Movie. Sorry if this is no help at all.

MicroNut
March 24th, 2008, 12:22
No you can not change or fake the region code for movies using custom firmware at this time.
The only method that I know of is described in my post.

I assumed that dreadsofcrass is trying to watch UMD movies from another region.
For instance US movies on a Jap. PSP

Your answer would be direct as a way to check region coding of an ISO Movie.
However, this is what i found when checking two of my movies as you describe
Ren and Stimpy Vol.1|718884|0002|V |
Sin City |EEB380A50AFA0ECE|0002|V |

Using UMDGEN shows the same info from the UMD_DATA.BIN file in hex format.

No matter how you want to look at it, this looks like a difficult thing to do without the box the movie came in.

I would like to know another way.

jonezybaby
March 24th, 2008, 13:31
custom firmware can make psp region free to UMD movies cus i do it :D

Accordion
March 24th, 2008, 13:42
remember where you bought it from?

MicroNut
March 24th, 2008, 14:30
custom firmware can make psp region free to UMD movies cus i do it :D
Do you do this by changing the Region Code of the PSP in the Recovery menu?
Last I read this didnt work for Movies.
Would be nice to know if it really does and exactly how.

Triv1um
March 24th, 2008, 17:23
Do you do this by changing the Region Code of the PSP in the Recovery menu?
Last I read this didnt work for Movies.
Would be nice to know if it really does and exactly how.

It should work, because when you do the region change in the recovery menu. You can see all the features of that region.

MicroNut
March 24th, 2008, 18:24
It should work, because when you do the region change in the recovery menu. You can see all the features of that region.
Have you been able to do this?
I dont have a Region coded UMD to make an ISO out of thats not R1, the same region as my PSP.
I have tested changing the region code of the PSP to Japan and Russian but the ISO plays without problems.
While that looks good, its surprising becuase I suspected that the movies would not play.
I just wish I had an R2 UMD movie ISO I could test this with.
Or if you or someone you know know already has I would really like to know.

jamotto
March 24th, 2008, 19:07
Ok, I have an Asian psp that's running 3.52 M33. No matter what region I set it to fake it won't run a region 1 movie umd. It will give the Wrong Region Code error. The psp can't dump it to an iso also the unit will lockup and shutdown or crash the app.

The Only way I can view movies is to have a psp of the same region as the movie dump the movie and I copy the iso over to my psp. Then it will play no matter what the region the psp is set to fake is.

I'll give the above program a try sometime when I have time.

jeegee
March 26th, 2008, 14:15
Ok, I have an Asian psp that's running 3.52 M33. No matter what region I set it to fake it won't run a region 1 movie umd. It will give the Wrong Region Code error. The psp can't dump it to an iso also the unit will lockup and shutdown or crash the app.

The Only way I can view movies is to have a psp of the same region as the movie dump the movie and I copy the iso over to my psp. Then it will play no matter what the region the psp is set to fake is.

I'll give the above program a try sometime when I have time.

Same here. Tried a Region 1 MOVIE in my fat 3.90 m33-2 using fake region and had no luck. "region code incorrect" error comes up. also tried umd region free enabled to no avail. tried all combos of the above and nothing works. (mine is actually a jap psp)

Also tried it on a european slim running 3.80 m33-5 using all combos of region enabling/faking. No joy!!

If anyone knows of a program that allows me to play any region umd movies please post :)

BTW region fake works fine if i'm running GAMES but not MOVIES....

MicroNut
March 26th, 2008, 14:37
Same here. Tried a Region 1 MOVIE in my fat 3.90 m33-2 using fake region and had no luck. "region code incorrect" error comes up. also tried umd region free enabled to no avail. tried all combos of the above and nothing works. (mine is actually a jap psp)

Also tried it on a european slim running 3.80 m33-5 using all combos of region enabling/faking. No joy!!

If anyone knows of a program that allows me to play any region umd movies please post :)

BTW region fake works fine if i'm running GAMES but not MOVIES....

Did you try using UMD Emulator V0.8C as described?