PDA

View Full Version : DoomDS Update - WIP Info

wraggster
August 30th, 2005, 13:40
A quick update on what's been happening on the DoomDS front from Defect:

I've been workng heavily on the design document for DoomDS, there is a huge amount of documentation for this project on paper and I am transferring it to my PC. This is a long and tedious task, but it is giving me a chance to update it and include the new ideas and features we have been brainstorming lately.

The engine for DoomDS will be based on a heavily modified version of the source for the Doom64: Absolution project. This engine is fantastic and should port over to the DS without too much hassle. This engine supports .md2 models and lots of other nice visual effects, but we will be adding a lot of new features and visual effects once its up an running. Work on the engine will start once our flash cards arrive.

Removing all the useless network code and optimizing the engine for specific sound and video hardware should reap some nice speed gains. There are several key rendering techniques we are working on that should help greatly with the memory and polygon limitations of the DS.

The biggest advantage of this engine is that it allows us to do some quick and easy testing on PC, without having to transfer everything over to the DS. This should allow for faster development and better methods for
recording media.

There is a lot of progress on the art, with lots of new textures and models, but dont expect updates any time soon.We are keeping the art under wraps untill later in development.

Thanks,
Defect.