PDA

View Full Version : PSP turns three, sniff

wraggster
March 25th, 2008, 03:00
Whoa, has it really been three years since the PSP had its glittery North American debut? It seems like just yesterday we were watching UMD movies on our chubby first-gen unit -- and now here we are, with the PSP Slim all grown up, multicolored, and in a serious relationship with the PS3. (All we're missing is built-in storage.)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/24/psp-turns-three-sniff/

juiceface
March 25th, 2008, 03:43
happy birthday psp

how many more years do you guys think it will be until another sony handheld is realeased? do we still have a lot of lifecycle left?

RV2006
March 25th, 2008, 06:48
Happy birthday incestualportablegamesconsolethatplaysmoviesandmus icaswellandhasinferiorInternetbrowser!!! (PSP)

watupgroupie
March 25th, 2008, 09:08
Wow three years already? I got a psp a month after it came out. Looked up free games for psp that night. And stumbled across homebrew. I've been hooked on the system ever since. I use it still almost every day and can't imagine myself on a trip away from home with out it. In terms of games the thing I love the most about the psp is that its got games that are a bit more in depth than a DS game that you play for 5 min. and either get frustrated or bored. I still reccomend the psp to people who want a great media/gaming console on the go or something to enjoy sometimes when lazing around at home instead of a home console. By far one of my most favourite consoles. It also has one of the best homebrew experiences(its starting to die down, but you can still dig up and enjoy thousands of releases).

newb_fo_life
March 25th, 2008, 09:36
Who knows whats to come in the next three years :D

happy b-day!

Triv1um
March 25th, 2008, 11:32
Who knows whats to come in the next three years :D

happy b-day!

PSP 2 :D

I am yet to be amazed from anything on the PSP. Impressed, yes. But not amazed.

Im hoping some really good things will come from the PSP soon.

bah
March 25th, 2008, 12:29
No commercial games have really amazed me, homebrew has.

gpSP by Exophase and PSP Quake by Juraj Styk both blew me away.
gpSP for emulating the GBA so damn well when I didnt think I'd see the PSP do so, PSP Quake because its such a damn polished port of glquake (probably my favourite game of all time).

I seem to recall Exophase saying once that he had to take the time to go through and debug individual games and Mario vs DK was one of them. That's my favourite GBA game and I would say I was amazed when I thought about the dedication of the people who write the homebrew we all enjoy. I don't know if he likes that game but he took the time and effort to make sure it worked so people like me can enjoy it.
Almost restores ones faith in humanity.....

I guess I was quite impressed by GTA:LCS when I first saw it (although annoyed by the PSP screen's terrible response time). Not amazed though, but its a portable console and my deffinition of amazing gfx is defined by a high end PC so its not really fair.
Crush is a really impressive game also.

Buddy4point0
March 25th, 2008, 16:40
the psp really has come a long way, along with the psp homebrew community, i can't wait to see what the next step in the life of the psp is going to be

Veskgar
March 25th, 2008, 17:30
I rushed out in a winter storm to wait in line to be one of the first to get a PSP. The style and design was what first interested me. And playing WipEout Pure, seeing what the little handheld could do was exciting.

Over the years the PSP has kept me more captivated and excited than any other gadget I've ever owned. I don't know why so many people complain about the PSP games because there are a lot of really great and some spectacular games for the PSP. With every platform comes a slew of very bad games as well. The PSP is no different.

But now with the Slim PSP revision and like 300-400 commercial games, constant firmware updates, homebrew capabilities, etc. The PSP is the best, hands down. You just need to know how to utilize all that its capable of.

Admittedly, an unsuspecting parent who buys a PSP for their 7 year old along with a couple of games like Transformers, TMNT, etc. will likely be a little disappointed. The PSP has always been geared towards an older audience.

However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, when someone like me goes out and buys a Slim PSP, a 4GB memory stick, STAMINA battery, God of War, WipEout Pulse, etc. The PSP turns into the ultimate device. Especially after putting custom firmware on it.

So happy birthday PSP. Thanks to SONY for the wonderful hand held wonder and thanks to this great homebrew community for all of the innovation, excitement, and fun.

There is still a lot of potential for the PSP and I think it would be safe to say that there is at least another couple years left before our beloved PSP starts to show its age. Commercially speaking that is. With homebrew potential still untapped, I don't foresee a time where I'll want to retire my Slim PSP anytime soon.

myuusmeow
March 25th, 2008, 17:34
Sweet. My PSP is only 3.5 months old (got it for Christmas) and I'm loving it.

Pursuit Force, Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, God of War Chains of Olympus, Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories, Sid Meier's Pirates, and many many more, plus Quake, Doom, gpSP, Daedalus, SNES9xTYL, NesterJ, plus every PSX game out there? I honestly don't know where my DS is! :p

acn010
March 26th, 2008, 16:08
i bought it when it came out
now the psp went from black to glossy cool red
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/IMAG0012.jpg
happy birthday

chipn22
April 13th, 2008, 21:31
happy birthday psp! unfortunately its big brother ps3 is beginning to steal the spotlight now.

carlitx
April 14th, 2008, 23:24
happy bday yah piece of junk haha. i like the hombrew but other than that to me its garbage.