Thread: Chess Clock aka Game Clock PSP 1.0

DCEmu Coder

Default Chess Clock aka Game Clock PSP 1.0

Description
    Chess Clock aka Game Clock PSP 1.0 is an Analogue Chess/Game Clock Simulation for the Playstation Portable. It is written in C++ using the JGE++ Engine by Dr. Watson and Chipmunk Game Physics library by Slembcke.

Features
    - Two connected clocks
    - Each clock containing:
    - a big clock pointer
    - a small clock pointer
    - a flag
    - a star-shaped wheel for activity indication
    - 2D physics simulation on the flags
    - The pointers are rotating by an estimated angle velocity, so this app does NOT feature the most accurate clocks on the planet (it may vary by some seconds per hour)

Screenshot
    note: I photographed my real chess clock for the background, yeah it's not the most accurate regarding the perspective but it's ok for me ;P

NOTE: Read the readme.txt for further details.

A Chess Clock, what now? - How to use this app.

Use the app for playing chess

Playing chess with a game clock has been established since 1861 where sand
    clocks were used back then. In 1866 a match was played where the referee used stop watches. In 1883 a mechanical game clock was introduced which contained two separated clocks, each being activated/deactivated by a movable bar. In 1899 H. D. B. Mejer proposed the use of a small flag which falls when the player's time runs out. So this app here uses the ideas of chess enthusiasts more than 100 years ago In the 1980's digital clocks were developed, maybe Chess Clock aka Game Clock PSP will feature digital game clock's special abilities in the future!

Ok, back to playing chess. You can play different variants on chess with a game clock. The default setting is:
    - Everyone's time runs out at exactly 6 o'clock
    -> the app's default setting is 6 o'clock, so to setup a time for each player you just have to rewind the clock (from starting the app, both clocks can be rewound exactly at the same time by pressing D-Pad Left, stop the process by pressing D-Pad Down)
    - Everyone's time is run out, when the flag falls
    -> rewind both clocks far enough to the left first, so that the flags are "in front" if the big clock pointers (the pointers need to lift the flag up when entering the last minutes). You can then fast-forward both clocks to the setting you like, if needed (this applies if you want to give each player only a small amount of minutes)

The standard use is:
    - On start of the match, the opposite player of the one doing the first move presses the Shoulder Button on the PSP facing his side to start the first player's clock.
    - When a player finishes his move, he presses the Shoulder Button on the PSP facing his side, this stops his own clock and immediately starts the ppponent's one. In chess tournaments the hand which actually does the move is the same hand which triggers the Shoulder Button after that.

The Variants for Chess are:

Sudden Death

Sudden Death is a simple time system where each player gets a fixed amount of time for the whole match. Usual amounts are 45 or 30 minutes for a standard match. can play a Blitz Chess / Speed Chess is usually played with 5 minutes for each player.
    Sorry to say, but it seems that's it for our Analogue Clock simulation regarding chess. Other variants are better implemented on a Digital Clock simulation (maybe I'm working on that one someday).

Use the app for playing Poker Tournaments

In Poker Tournaments the Blinds are raised after a certain amount of time. No
    problem for our Game Clock simulation. Rewind one of the clocks or even both
    to the time setting of your likes and let it go until the flag falls, then the
    Blinds will be raised, the clock gets rewound and so on

Use the app as a Stop Watch

The clock pointers of the simulation aren't exactly accurate, so you should not measure events where seconds count. But you can use the app for cooking an egg without being worried

Download click here! (via pdroms.de)

haha, owns thx man

DCEmu Rookie

Very usefull, thanks!

DCEmu Newbie

Default A problem:

[QUOTE=MK2k;2148039714]Description
    Chess Clock aka Game Clock PSP 1.0 is an Analogue Chess/Game Clock Simulation for the Playstation Portable.

DCEmu Newbie

It would realy be very useful for me too. It doesn't seem to work properly though. What I get after running the program is two small chess clocks in the left upper corner of my PSP. In addition it's all in purple and black and very destorted so although it actually works, it practically impossible to see what there is on the dials. When I look at the memorystick in folder D:\TH\PSP backup\Games\Chess_Clock_aka_Game_Clock_PSP_1.0-MK2k\MSROOT\PSP\GAME\ChessclockPSP\Res the picture of the chess clock 'Clock_Shrink' is all right. Do you have an idea what could be the problem? Oh yeah, I have a PSP Slim with 3.90 M33-3.

Thanks for reply.

DCEmu Coder

Hmm, some people reported the same problem with another game from me. Both share only one thing, they are developed using the JGE++ engine. So maybe I'll port all over to a more reliable engine sometimes.
    Maybe try disable all plugins of the custom firmware you use and try again?

Thanks. I'm just getting into Chess and could make use of this.

Thread Information