Thread: NVIDIA Responsible for Nearly 30% of Vista Crashes in 2007

IRC Chat NVIDIA Responsible for Nearly 30% of Vista Crashes in 2007

via Gizmodo

t's pretty easy to blame Microsoft for the buggy experiences many users of Vista have had, but they aren't the only culprits in this mess of an OS. No, it turns out that NVIDIA's craptastic drivers have been responsible for a whopping 28.8% of all Vista crashes. Yes, nearly 1/3rd of every single Vista crash was caused by NVIDIA drivers, and that includes all the computers out there that, you know, don't have an NVIDIA graphics card.

Microsoft's software is only responsible for 17.9%, but you've also gotta give the big M credit for the 17% that's "unknown." Behind that, ATI is responsible for 9.3% of crashes, with Intel causing 8.8% of them.

That 29% of crashes worked out to a real-world figure of about 479,000 crashes. The sample in question comes from an unspecified period last year, so one has got to assume, or at least hope, that Microsoft and NVIDIA have gotten their $#@! under control by now to not be breaking computers so frequently.

In any case, it's interesting to see just how big a hand NVIDIA had in creating the perception that Microsoft's shiny new OS was a big, buggy crash machine right out of the gate. Nice work, NVIDIA.

yeah. i have an hp pavilion a1747c and does crash at randoms

DCEmu Regular

I hate Vista a lot, but I have never had it crash. I even have a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT and before that I had a Nvidia GeForce 6800 (Both ran Vista fine, but the 8600 makes games run on Vista fast and smooth.)

DCEmu Rookie

I use a nvidia card always have and under vista the only time I have crashed is in a couple of games that gave a graphics driver error yet it was fixed by a game patch. but anyway the information is taken out of context as the numbers are taken directly instead of actualy taking into acount the sales differance. as far as graphics cards go nvidia is alot bigger than ATI/Intel were if crashes actualy came up as caused by the CPU intels share would be alot bigger. IU would also put money on the majority of the unkown errors are caused by microsoft but they didnt want to make it look like their fault as they do with alot of error reports just telling you to contact another firm even tho the problem is caused by windows.

But that's only 1.5 million crashes... there must have been many more than that. And it's Microsoft's fault that nvidia's vista drivers don't work too well.
    I don't use vista anymore, but with it and an intel express chipset onboard video processor, i have had the video drivers crash hundreds of times in WoW. Not even exaggerating. That is why i have never reported them, because it happened so often. I couldn't even fly between two (very close) cities in the game without having the drivers crash 3+ times. I now use mostly Linux (sometimes OSX).
    But, the GeForce 8800 series is very good.

Heh, nVidia is responsible for my Windows XP crashes, mainly since I originally had Vista on this laptop but later downgraded (clean installed) to XP and used tweaked drivers (since the card wasn't compatible with XP).

everytime i get a bluescreen was beacuse i hade the side of my chassi ON, so sinse i removed it i've had no more than 0 bluescreens..

but that was because i changed my graphic card, but when i got all the bluescreens (around 10-15 a day )
    and i restarted my computer, and the problem message came up it said on ALL of them that the problem was "timerstop.sys" hmmm i wonder why? linux is better xD, but OSX just OWNS..

i do have an original copy of Vista but i don't want to use the key.. haha

DCEmu Newbie

100% of the crashes have one thing in common. I'd amend the title as such:
    Vista Responsible for Nearly 100% of Vista Crashes in 2007

My driver crashes at times when I try to overclock it, safely, using NVIDIA's damn tools.

I had NVIDIA network drivers installed on my only vista machine and for some odd reason after they were updated (it was recommended by vista), while they were enabled, windows could not shut down.. it would just freeze when pressing the shut down button in the start menu.. My graphics card in my XP machine is a NVIDIA card and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it but my combined hate for what happened and so many other disappointments with vista is convincing me to go to a MAC for my next computer..

Thread Information