Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Pandora Video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_eternal_dark View Post
    You say this and use Linux...

I can't wait to see how this is going to progress in comparison to the GP2X.
    This Pandora is not free correct? For an item like this to succeed it needs to be at least heard of by a decent amount of people. Then a few of them must decide to get one. For a device this ugly and this little heard of this will be very difficult.

Linux is a free OS that has a lot going for it besides being free. Linux used to be obscure and little known of but because of its price and speed along with a ton of other features it has broken away from its obscurity and is becoming mainstream where true success can happen.

Pandora just doesnt have enough going for it to overcome its visual shortcomings and the fact that no one has a clue what it is.

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Pandora just doesnt have enough going for it to overcome its visual shortcomings and the fact that no one has a clue what it is.
    No surprise considering the product is not even out yet. I can see where the makers will market this product and it will be interesting if it manages to take off from there.

I heard (and bought based off it) about the GP32 from a review in GamesTM, a British mainstream games magazine.

Blog Entries

If a company makes a game console and it is unknown by the public for its lifetime it failed. Underground game consoles do not make money and will likely die after the first or second iteration.

Thats what the hohum pandora has ahead. Oh and im calling it hohum based on its specs(pretty good) and its butt uglyness.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    If a company makes a game console and it is unknown by the public for its lifetime it failed. Underground game consoles do not make money and will likely die after the first or second iteration.

Thats what the hohum pandora has ahead. Oh and im calling it hohum based on its specs(pretty good) and its butt uglyness.
    'hohum' and 'butt ugly' ? didn't you buy an EEE PC?

If this device can make a profit at the proposed price [£200] and also deliver a real developing opportunity to those who use it, how can it be a failure.

the design is plain but far from ugly, it looks like a DS lite with decent controls.

My only doubts are the strength of the hinge supporting a touch screen, and whether a real unit will be seen by anyone in time for the May developer release.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    'hohum' and 'butt ugly' ? didn't you buy an EEE PC?

If this device can make a profit at the proposed price [£200] and also deliver a real developing opportunity to those who use it, how can it be a failure.

the design is plain but far from ugly, it looks like a DS lite with decent controls.

My only doubts are the strength of the hinge supporting a touch screen, and whether a real unit will be seen by anyone in time for the May developer release.
    Great job personally insulting me there. I could have sworn we were talking about the Pandora not the Eee..

I have not seen one person deny that its ugly.. Have sight issues maybe? And decent controls? Seriously? The buttons look like they were thrown at the device from 5 feet away! They are completely out of place.

Pandora, at best will have an underground following but will never reach a level where the public knows about it. We've seen this kind of homebrew game system before people!

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Great job personally insulting me there. I could have sworn we were talking about the Pandora not the Eee..

I have not seen one person deny that its ugly.. Have sight issues maybe? And decent controls? Seriously? The buttons look like they were thrown at the device from 5 feet away! They are completely out of place.

Pandora, at best will have an underground following but will never reach a level where the public knows about it. We've seen this kind of homebrew game system before people!
    try a scale model before judgment.

this device is not intended for mass uptake. The team has never claimed such. It is a developer system made by developers for developers.
    Better off without plagues of Lua test apps.

Do not drag down that which escapes you!

[Exclamations…preachy, no?]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    try a scale model before judgment.

this device is not intended for mass uptake. The team has never claimed such. It is a developer system made by developers for developers.
    Better off without plagues of Lua test apps.

Do not drag down that which escapes you!

[Exclamations…preachy, no?]
    If the developers only want an underground following then thats what they'll get. The market for something like this is certainly there.. Just small. My point was that the thing will never leave the underground and theres not really any money to be made there.

I wasn't saying that the actual device was garbage just that its form factor would prohibit it from ever leaving the underground and making any real money. That would be a major hindrance in any attempt to fund a Pandora 2.

EDIT: Oh and I still love my Eee. I have it booting XP in under 20 seconds and Ubuntu loading off an SD card! Hows that for a dual boot?! lol

I have Q3 Arena and several mods on it and a few other games on the sd.

And its not ugly :P
    Last edited by ICE; April 5th, 2008 at 19:10.

DCEmu Newbie

PANDORA!! The console that i was fantasizing about weeks ago!! but.. I seriously think there's a flaw in Pandora's design.. if there could be another model for Pandora (even though it would take out it's "one and only, original design"..) , they should take out the qwerty keyboard. it must go! you can always plug a keyboard extension cant you? besides, i think the keyboard is too small for people to press.. and i think they should lower and separate the joysticks to still have the xBox/PS experience.. Pandora is a good console, i just don't like the design.. the only think that i liked is the MemoryCardSD slot 1 and 2, hahaha..

sorry for being a critic.. please don't hate me. >.>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information