Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VBA for PSP V004 ? (GBA EMU)

Blog Entries

Question VBA for PSP V004 ? (GBA EMU)

Tonight we got our hands on what seems to be a newer version of the GBA emulator for the PSP, the last release was in June and i can verify its the same emulator but the file size is different and date on the file shows todays date. the emulator does seem faster although i have no way of being 100% correct, so with that in mind for those interested, check out what for now we have named VBA For PSP v004?, download it here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/vbapsp.shtml

DCEmu Newbie

Default Strange Icon, Still Slow

One strange thing I found was that when you plugged the Eboot into Homebrew9, the default icon for the application was just text stating: "VBA FOR 2.00 DO NOT UPGRADE!!!" Yet the icon doesn't show as such when the split eboots are transfered to the card. I have no idea what this means, but I tried out the emulator.

The one emulator I really cared about was this one, and of course it's the one that doesn't exist. At least that is still my opinion. I tried playing Final Fantasy 1 & 2, and it's still too ridiculously slow to be playable even with max frameskip and 333Mhz.

Does anyone use this emulator? If so, what games do you find it useful for?

I was looking forward to this emulator a lot too. Mainly because it never seems to run perfectly for the PC. It's the best possible, but since it's a portable system, I'd rather play it portably. Anyway, I hope someone works on it a little. I don't see why it's been so ignored, especially since the GBC one works so perfectly, and the SNES is coming along nicely. Oh well, let's hope.

DCEmu Rookie

no sound, still a lot slow

Blog Entries

there is sound

use the analogue controller to toggle sound and speed

DCEmu Rookie

whats the secret to even getting this to work?

Quote Originally Posted by znamezsame
    One strange thing I found was that when you plugged the Eboot into Homebrew9, the default icon for the application was just text stating: "VBA FOR 2.00 DO NOT UPGRADE!!!" Yet the icon doesn't show as such when the split eboots are transfered to the card...
    What the.. hmm.. what could this mean?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Setup

Quote Originally Posted by dman32
    whats the secret to even getting this to work?
    1.) Split it with Kexploit, Homebrew9, etc. (If you have a 1.50 PSP)
    2.) Put it in X:\PSP\GAME\VBAPSP (and VBAPSP% for 1.50)
    3.) Rename GBA ROM to X:\PSP\GAME\VBAPSP\ROM.GBA
    4.) Optional: Rename gamesave to X:\PSP\GAME\VBAPSP\SAVE\SAVEDATA.SAV

(Yes, it's really a one at a time emulator, use FileAssistant or similar to rename on the go and use more than one game. However the emulator is so slow it's barely worth your time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa
    What the.. hmm.. what could this mean?
    I think it means that someone was trying to get it to run on Firmware 2.00 by tweaking it. There have been many people getting excited about crashing later in the eboot startup process. But since it's been going on so long, and everyone and their mother has been editing headers for some time, is it reasonable to think this is all it would take? The people who were trying to take advantage of the buffer overflow were much closer. I wish someone was working on the speed of this emulator, not trying to get it to pioneer the field of 2.00 bootable homebrew. Hello World should do nicely for that.

phhhhhhht. gimme any eboot and i can make it not crash on the startup process. split it with kxploit, open the NON-% EBOOT in a hex editor, find "0200 0800" twards the begining and change it to "0200 0100". or you can do it by means of that retarded update folder trick.

This guy may have gotten it to go further somehow, but he hasnt really publicly made any announcements. so we may never know.

edit: mind you, it wont let you load homebrew... it will just allow you to begin to launch it.

DCEmu Newbie

Hmmm....., what a cryptic message about 2.00.

So, it seems to work better? or is it just a tweaked version that someone tried to get to work on 2.00 like znamezsame said?

It is true that i think the focus needs to be on speed (namely utilizing the PSP's cpu) and not on firmware version.

And to answer snamezsame's question i would just love to use a working GBA emulator to play Riviera which is turning out to be a surprisingly good RPG.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information