Thread: Freedo status

DCEmu Newbie

Default Freedo status

over at freedo.org admin posted this

To summarize everything in couple of words -- project is in hold now. Here are the details:
    3do-scene.com --- the guy who was responsible for site design and info convertion got a new job and has no time to deal with it anymore. We're stuck here
    FreeDO 2.0 -- was in works till a february -- now i don't have a time to work on it. Emulator coding requires great deal of free time, which i will not have now.
    FreeDO for GP2X -- same status as above
    FreeDO for MacOSX -- it's complete, but for PowerPC platform only -- it runs painfully slow on intel macs with rosetta.
    FreeDO for DC -- buggy, and silent... alas -- no sound emulation.
    FreeDO in Verilog (FPGA) -- video portion is buggy -- lack of transparency. CPU and DSP are running well. Requires original Toshiba VRAM (for now)
    IDE/USB-OTG for FZ-1 and others -- initial software and hardware prooved to be working, however i still need to code advanced GUI for the console itself....
    The biggest problem is lack of time and lack of help. Right now i'm also single dad. That means -- i will not have enough time to dedicate to the project to move on. Considering all that i'm thinking about releasing the sources.
    Please -- don't forget to comment your votes... it will help me to decide.

FreeDO for DC -- buggy, and silent... alas -- no sound emulation.
    Damn, I hope they will work on it :/

Blog Entries

he should release the source

Dream Coder

We've been promised freedo for the Dreamcast for over 3 years. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

I want FreeDO for DC !

DCEmu Rookie

I wouldn't hold my breath that he really follows through with realeasing the sources, but it would certainly be nice.

It makes sense to release the source. Hes already commented that the dev is not progressing, so why leave not?

Release the source, and someone might pick it up that can get the progress going again.

I understand that alot of work is put into programming emu's, and people want credit where it is do. From what I have seen from the DC community most developers are very good at making it clear with who helped with what when developing.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGoingBack View Post
    It makes sense to release the source. Hes already commented that the dev is not progressing, so why leave not?

Release the source, and someone might pick it up that can get the progress going again.

I understand that alot of work is put into programming emu's, and people want credit where it is do. From what I have seen from the DC community most developers are very good at making it clear with who helped with what when developing.
    AFAIK, he actually owns the IP to a number of the chips in the 3DO. He has said that he intended to release it for sale many times. A few years ago he said that he had designed 3DO adapters for the DC,PS2, and XBOX and would be selling them with the emulator for each system through the internet.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

AFAIK, the source is based on docs and knowledge that isn't supposed to be made public. Does he just not care anymore?

Thread Information