Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does the Xbox (a PC) do it??? (to startup like a console?)

DCEmu Regular

Default How does the Xbox (a PC) do it??? (to startup like a console?)

I dont know if this is the right place for this but as we all know, the Xbox is literally a home PC, due to the fact that it is made up of computer parts u could almost get off the selve (although some are custom built but still operate as a PC).

however, How does the Xbox startup like a console? i mean, usually it go through like the whole bios thing and stuff, but i have seen it operates like any other console, where it gives us the bootscreen (animated!) and would boot up the game.

i hope u get what i mean, but i just cant get my head around that fact, cause i jsut had a small idea if i could do something similar.

can someone help me on this? as well technically?

nope, it is not "literally" a home pc

Its pretty damn close to a PC in hardware.

To quote Wikipedia:
    'The Xbox is based on commodity PC hardware and runs a stripped-down version of the Windows 2000 kernel using APIs based largely on DirectX 8.1. however, it also incorporates changes optimized for gaming and multimedia uses as well as restrictions designed to prevent uses not approved by Microsoft.'

The BIOS either doesn't have any video output on boot, or its just hidden by playing the animated intro.
    It and the operating system are both very minimal and optimised, so it boots faster than a PC running XP.

Games run much better than a similar specced PC because the hardware is standardised and developers can optimise the game for that exact setup rather than the millions of possible PC hardware combinations that directX and/or game developers have to deal with.
    No detail settings needed because they developers know how it will look/run on your system.

Just because it's PC (x86) hardware doesnt mean it runs windows, or displays the BIOS info on startup (many motherboards hide it with a boot logo).
    Some Asus motherboards have had an 'instant on' feature using a small linux OS for a while now. You can boot into that minimal environment and use firefox and a few other apps in about 5 seconds, or boot into windows/other full OS as normal.

It's just some extra code in the BIOS and some flash storage attached to run/store the minimal environment.

If you want a fully featured modern OS that boots anywhere near as quickly as an xbox you're not going to get it with windows 2K/XP/Vista without stripping out a lot of components. You could put it in standby instead but that's not really turning it off.
    You could quite likely find a fully featured linux distro that will load quicker than windows.

My PC boots XP to the login screen in about 20-25 secs and then loads things for another 5 or 10 at most and is then its 100%.
    Unless this is a laptop, in which case you would just put it in standby by closing it, how often are you turning the PC on/off in a day that makes booting as normal painful?
    Last edited by bah; May 20th, 2008 at 11:37.

DCEmu Pro

it doesn't have a buch of programs running in the background. next time u start ur pc check the processes and u will see wat im talking about.

DCEmu Regular

i see.

thats understandable, but i am also refering to other consoles as well, even though they are not PC parts, but they do resemble them and that we know they all contain a BIOS. how does it bypass it? or not have it load up like a PC does with an animated video (which is usually the startup).

AND can this be done myself? as in, i would by PC parts and have someone do a little programming to enable to get somewhere.

They do not display BIOS info on boot because they are not programmed to do so. It doesn't bypass anything.

That information can be useful in troubleshooting a PC so it is displayed by default.

Do macs display any of it?
    Probably not, they're all about form over function.

I really cant be bothered researching it for you, but I'm pretty sure there's an option in many BIOSs to not display the info and just show a motherboard logo instead.

The image it shows would be stored on the BIOS, it may be possible to modify it by flashing a modified firmware. I've never heard anything about that though, never cared to look.

Modern PCs will sometimes show the video card bios, then the motherboard boot screen or BIOS info, then the HDD info from the BIOS, then the windows load screen.

Going from power on to the windows load screen only takes a cpl seconds, is it really worth the hassle to try and make it show an image instead?

I would think speeding up the total load time with more memory, less programs loading on startup etc would be more useful.

Edit : You could try looking for a 'show logo' and/or 'fast boot' or similar options in your BIOS and try enabling them. This will only show a motherboard logo instead of the text however.
    Last edited by bah; May 21st, 2008 at 11:06.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    Do macs display any of it?
    Probably not, they're all about form over function.
    Macs dont have BIOS, PPC Macs have Open Firmware, and Intel Macs use EFI

You dont see a Bios screen because there isnt one to see, it not being hidden.

Good point regarding EFI.

They don't show any equivalent initialization info then. I meant hidden in his terms; i.e. it shows a graphic or GUI instead of system info.

It is more efficient keeping such information out of view unless called.

Don't all the current consoles run processors based on PPC architecture anyway?
    BIOS is intended for x86.

I guess that consoles run Open Firmware similar firmware due to its more efficient boot up and user friendliness.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    Macs dont have BIOS, PPC Macs have Open Firmware, and Intel Macs use EFI

You dont see a Bios screen because there isnt one to see, it not being hidden.
    Both Firmware and EFI (the F stands for firmware ) are simply renamed forms of BIOS. In fact, all BIOS systems in computers are firmwares both by academic and common definitions (common definition tends to require as a large portion the ability to update).

Just like any program, the BIOS is written specifically to give text output, which is useful for diagnosis and such. It's quite easy to remove that, and wouldn't seriously impact operation if there is nothing to change.
    Last edited by quzar; May 21st, 2008 at 20:47.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information