Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wii, 360, PS3 fail Greenpeace tests

General games Wii, 360, PS3 fail Greenpeace tests

via Computer and Video Games

The three console giants have failed a Greenpeace test after they were found to contain a number of toxic and potentially harmful materials.

The Greenpeace "Playing Dirty" report found substances such as polyvinyl chloride, phthalates, beryllium and bromine on the various bits and bobs within the consoles. If they checked the office pads they'd also find the remains of yesterday's KFC feast (on a Monday too, the shame - Ed)

You probably won't be chowing down on the microchips inside your PS3 any time soon (we'd hope), but Greenpeace called for console manufacturers to "design out" toxic substances.

Dr. Kevin Brigden, Greenpeace Science Unit, said: "Whether game consoles are classified as toys or not, they can still contain hazardous chemicals and materials that could harm humans. The technology is available for the manufacturers to design out toxics and produce greener game consoles now."

Casey Harrell, Greenpeace International Toxics Campaigner, added: "Our test clearly shows that a greener game console is possible; manufacturers just need to look 'inside the box' of the competition to see which of their own dirty components can be replaced with toxic free materials."

It's not so much that you'll be licking the components of your console, but more about the environmental effects when they're dumped, ending up in recycling yards in developing countries, apparently.

Meh no one gives a flying s*** this is why they will never ever come into power because no one gives a damm

PSN ID: splodger15

DCEmu Old Pro The Hombrew Hunter's Avatar

I still have my Atari 2600s.

What do they mean by "dumped"?

If they want such a clean system, they should make their own.

DCEmu Newbie

No one gives a damn, Greenpeace, Yeah right more like RedAnnoyance

No one cares, I dont give a .... about the enviroment so what oo i have a Wii thats made from toxic chemicals!! Boo hoo were gunna die.

Boohoo

EDIT:I'd rather not pay loads of cash for a ps3 made from dirty recycled sh**, i payed for quality not for junk.
    Last edited by icecoolwas; May 20th, 2008 at 21:01.

wow these Greenpeace people are really idiots.

green peace you can scream all you want. me and everbody does not care ;/

This green stuff most of the time is just a way of charging more. I received a pencil sharpener made from "75% post consumer plastic"- but it was so big it hadn't really done anything to help the planet- just use up what little recycled plastic there is, and probably used more new plastic than a small pencil sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    wow these Greenpeace people are really idiots.
    i couldn't agree more
    who gives a crap if there's toxic material in your wii?
    i don't, and it probably won't die in a few years, if ever, so i'm not throwing it away yet..

DCEmu Rookie

They are saying this because you eventually throw away your console and it hurts the enviornment beacuse when it is smashed up these toxins are released. The console is always safe in your living room.

Children typically don't care about the enviornment because they are self absorbed and selfish. Also greedy people who care only about making profit don't care about the environment either. So those opinions from said people really have no merit. However any rational thinking adult will realize that we are ****ing up the earth by all of our technologies, primarily with Co2 but when you think about it, hundreds of millions of consoles being thrown away in the future can't be good for the earth.

I for one am glad greenpeace is pointing this out. Maybe it will force the companies listed to think about using alternative materials than the toxic ones in their next generation of consoles.

Just because you get your selfish gaming fix from your beloved console doesn't mean you dont have to damn the earth in the process. Responses like "Oh i dont care! as long as I, ME ME ME get my gaming fix I could give less of a $#@! about the earth!, I never leave my living room anyways!" It's simply a pathetic attitude to take on the matter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information