Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How many FLOPS are in game consoles?

This is obviously a typo. The PS3 has actually a worse GPU Id believe the numbers if you took one of the 0's off the PS3's GPU flops number.

Its obviously not right, I think the ps3 prob does have a few more theoretical flops in its CPU but I dont play superPi very often.

and this is why folding @ home is only available only on the ps3

DCEmu Newbie

Programming for the PS3 is like trying to get 8 people to screw in a light bulb. Each one has to be dedicated to a single task. You cannot simply multiply the processing power of one of the PS3's processors by 8 and get an accurate value. Not every thread uses the same amount of processing time, and the other 7 cores WILL be idle a lot of the time. Unless they're doing something non-game dependent. (Rendering water)

In most cases a 200gflop processor will render a game smoother than 3 100gflop processors.

The reason folding@home is so fast, each of the 8 processors can run separately from the other 7.

The 360 suffers from the same problems, but to a lesser degree. It's much easier to split your code over a smaller number of cores.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88 View Post
    and this is why folding @ home is only available only on the ps3
    folding @ home is a complete joke in my oppinion. It seems like a novelty item more than something I'd use regularly. I think the 360 could maybe pull something like it off to but in my oppionion would be pointless.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information