Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: FrodoDS(C64 emulator) updated

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    Thanks for the info. I tried 3-4 different copies of the game and turning on the 1541 emulation but still no luck.

Where can I get the PC version of Frodo?I tried a web search, but couldn't find a working link with an executable for Windows XP.

This begs another question, does FrodoDS support disk operations for saving/loading game data?
    http://server.zimmers.net/anonftp/pu...o4_1.win32.zip

FrodoDS supports most disk operations, Its been reported that some things don't work, but with latest version it will allow you to save snapshots by pressing X, and then you use the left trigger to open up the filelist and reload snapshots from there.

Troy(GPF)

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks for the link, it has really helped.

Using FrodoCS (1541 emulation on), I was able to save a snapshot of a successful load and transfer it to the DS. With 1541 emulation also enabled on FrodoDS, it works! I load the snapshot, then immediately mount the .d64 file.

I finally have one of my most favorite C=64 games working on the DS. It appears to work fine, except saving to a "data disk". But since you now have the snapshot built-in, it is not an issue.

I've found that the basic Frodo (win-32) is a good indicator what will work on Frodo DS. FrodoCS seems to be compatible with every rom I've tried (with 1541 emulation). So I will use it for the ones that don't like the DS (or checking to see if the rom is good).

Thanks for making this wonderful program.

One thing I've noticed is that the PC versions have a drive access light. I'd love to see that on the DS version, any chance of adding that in the future? There have been a few time I thought the rom didn't work, only for it to be just loading another part of the program. I don't miss the slow load times of the C=64. ;p

Using FrodoCS (1541 emulation on), I was able to save a snapshot of a successful load and transfer it to the DS. With 1541 emulation also enabled on FrodoDS, it works! I load the snapshot, then immediately mount the .d64 file.

I finally have one of my most favorite C=64 games working on the DS. It appears to work fine, except saving to a "data disk". But since you now have the snapshot built-in, it is not an issue.

I've found that the basic Frodo (win-32) is a good indicator what will work on Frodo DS. FrodoCS seems to be compatible with every rom I've tried (with 1541 emulation). So I will use it for the ones that don't like the DS (or checking to see if the rom is good).

Thanks for making this wonderful program.

One thing I've noticed is that the PC versions have a drive access light. I'd love to see that on the DS version, any chance of adding that in the future? There have been a few time I thought the rom didn't work, only for it to be just loading another part of the program. I don't miss the slow load times of the C=64. ;p
    Maybe I could use the ds's power light to flash as the drive light, that would be cool, either way I'll look into it.

Troy(GPF)

DCEmu Pro

Thats funny, I've been trying to post that you can use FrodoSC(single cycle) to make working snapshots of some previously non-working games, for a couple days now and you beet me to it. Good job gyro!
    I got Montezuma's Revenge working with the FrodoSC snapshot and then ran it in frodods. It has decent speed at 3 frame skip.

DCEmu Newbie

Hmmm, with all this frameskip 3 is good enough business I'm starting to wonder if i'm actually the only person on here who plays good C64 games , I mean Montezuma's revenge was archaic when I was a child.

DCEmu Pro

I'm the only one so far in this thread that has said 3 is good enough, so if by one other person thinking it's fine makes it "all this good enough business" then I guess so? Also the time that a game was released has nothing to do with either how good it is or if it will run at decent speed in FrodoDS.
    Seriously,I guess by the time you got your c64, I was using an Amiga. I mean if your criteria for how good a game is depends on it's age, then why are you using this emulator.
    Also I just think 4 frame skip makes games way to choppy, platformers or shmups become basically unplayable. Lastly what are some examples of these "good" games that you only play.
    Last edited by crookedmouth; July 2nd, 2008 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedmouth View Post
    I'm the only one so far in this thread that has said 3 is good enough, so if by one other person thinking it's fine makes it "all this good enough business" then I guess so? Also the time that a game was released has nothing to do with either how good it is or if it will run at decent speed in FrodoDS.
    Seriously,I guess by the time you got your c64, I was using an Amiga. I mean if your criteria for how good a game is depends on it's age, then why are you using this emulator.
    Also I just think 4 frame skip makes games way to choppy, platformers or shmups become basically unplayable. Lastly what are some examples of these "good" games that you only play.
    I play jumpman, jumpman jr, and brucelee, and a lot of really old c64 games but thats why I ported FrodoDS , I'm old and ds seemed a great platform to enable me to have my portable c64 I dreamed of as a kid of 9 back in 1981 when c64 came out lol.

Troy(GPF)

DCEmu Newbie

Whoah, someone's a bit defensive of his archaic C64 games , I never had an Amiga when I was a kid but then I got one about 2 years ago and found that I didn't really miss out on anything anyway

Games I played a lot when I was a kid - St Dragon, Newzealand Story, Turrican 1 & 2, Gemini Wing, CJ's Elephant Antics, The Dizzy Games, Last Ninja 2, Hawkeye, Rodland, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Wizball, Shinobi, Flimbos Quest (borrowed off of my neighbour) Cabal, Kickstart 2. The oldest game I spent a lot of time playing when I was a kid was a game called Aqua.

I agree with you on Frameskip 4 being horribly choppy, but frameskip 3 is unbearably slow, I can play Katakis on FS4 and it plays pretty well which i'm happy about.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the "when a game was released has nothing to do with the emulation speed of Frodods" statement, in my experience anything from around 87' or later plays slow at FS3, surely this would be the case anyway because games after 87' actually started to use the Commodore to it's potential, and so must have had more complicated stuff going on in them.
    Last edited by jesus 666; July 5th, 2008 at 01:07.

DCEmu Pro

I don't think I'm being very defensive, I just believe most of the really good games came out earlier in the C64's life. There are tons of very innovative and great games that are pre-87. Most of the games after were sloppy ports of 16bit counterparts and games that really shouldn't have been tried on the old beast.
    To say that age has anything to do with it is just wrong, there are some games on the atari 2600 which can beat the C64 even, IMO.
    Plus to say you didn't miss out on much with the Amiga, may explain something about you. I wouldn't give up my C64 but the Amiga was a sweet machine that I will never forget as well.
    I'm no expert about frodoDS but in my tests there are plenty of old games that run slowly in frodoDS, Repton(the defender clone) and the 83 version of Donkey Kong are just a couple I can think of. The 86 version of DK by Ocean ran very fast in comparison. Turrican 1 and 2 run ok aswell as Blood Money.
    Either way the Amiga, Atari ST versions of most of the games you mentioned were far superior, hands down.
    The golden era of the C64 and games like Loderunner, Jumpman, Ultimate Wizard, Pirates!... just seem better to me.

DCEmu Newbie

Plus to say you didn't miss out on much with the Amiga, may explain something about you. I wouldn't give up my C64 but the Amiga was a sweet machine that I will never forget as well.
    The Amiga was alright, there was one game I quite liked on it actually, I think it was called ruff and tumble, other than that the only other Amiga games I liked were lemmings and Worms, which ended up on every other system anyway. My C64 and NES tided me over quite nicely until I got a megadrive tbh.

Most of the games after were sloppy ports of 16bit counterparts and games that really shouldn't have been tried on the old beast.
    I can't think of many 16-bit ports at all let alone sloppy ones, I can think of a quite a few sloppy arcade ports though, but then again I can think of quite a few really nice arcade ports too.
    Last edited by jesus 666; July 9th, 2008 at 03:00.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information