Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FrodoDS(C64 emulator) updated

DCEmu Newbie

I've been able to get most games to work, including Raid on Bungeling Bay using Congoblase's version. Most games do run slowly without upping the frame skip. Someone mentioned that they think it's due to the sound emulation because when the sound got accidentally disabled it ran much faster. If that's true, an option to disable the sound would help speed things up until a real solution can be found.

Some (but not many) do require the true disk emulation. Those that do take a very long time to load (just like the real thing). Once loaded, immediately save the game state (.fss file) so that the next time you want to play you can load that instead (those load instantly).

-Bri
    Last edited by Bri-; September 28th, 2008 at 16:33.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bri- View Post
    Some (but not many) do require the true disk emulation. Those that do take a very long time to load (just like the real thing). Once loaded, immediately save the game state (.fss file) so that the next time you want to play you can load that instead (those load instantly).

-Bri
    With the True Disk Emulation enabled what happens after you run the game with load"*",8,1? For me it just sits there with the screen showing 'loading'. Is that right & do you just leave it alone? I somehow imagined something happening on screen like the old loading coloured bars or something.

I've being trying .d64 ROMS from different places. Action Biker from one site didn't work at all. I DL'd it from a different site & this worked. I'v been using these sites for ROMS;

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=576
    http://www.c64.com/
    Last edited by db73; September 28th, 2008 at 21:21.

DCEmu Newbie

The loading colorbars appear for some games, but not for others. It usually sits there for a loooong time. Then it will either start running automatically or sometimes you'll get a BASIC prompt again and I think you can type "RUN" to make the game run.

Honestly, there aren't many games that I've had to use compatibility mode for. But then again, there are many games I haven't tried too.

Try http://gamebase64.com/index.php

Some of the games are in tape format (.t64). You can use DirMaster to convert them into disks. DirMaster 2.0 can be found here: http://www.style64.org/index.php?cid=rele

-Bri
    Last edited by Bri-; September 29th, 2008 at 01:54.

DCEmu Newbie

Cheers, Bri.

I'll try some more files from different sites. Those the don't work I'll give the TDE a try. From what your saying if I do get them loaded then I shold be able to just take a snapshot for speedy loading in the future.

.... now if we could just get the speed issue fixed :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

Until emulation speed is increased (or perhaps until there's an option to turn off sound to increase speed), you can always change the frame skip, but it will make it more choppy. I think the default is to skip 3 frames, but if you make it 4 it will run faster.

-Bri

DCEmu Newbie

I've been downloading some .d64 files, that wouldn't previously work, from different sites (namely PlanetEmu.net) & I've been enjoying more success The frame skip also seems to work pretty well & speeds the games up a bit. Some games even seem to run at just about the right speed with the frame skip set to default.

Tried Cauldron 2 several times. It runs okay but I don't get any sprite collision detection - I can just pass right through enemies with no ill effects. Sometimes I even fall through platforms! Hope I can figure this one out as Cauldron 2 was one of my favourite C64 games. I've checked that sprite detection (or whatever that setting is called) is on & it is. Strange.

Frame skip works but is not ideal. As you say it can make the game a little choppy. Be a shame to have to turn the sound off as well, if that was an option that could solv the speed issue. Here's hoping for a speed increase to the emaultion from one of you clever coders out there

DCEmu Newbie

Sprite collision also doesn't work with Fort Apocalypse, so I'm guessing it's a known incompatibility with Frodo. By the way, you can install the PC version of Frodo to test games first to make sure that it's not the emulator itself that's at fault rather than the DS port of the emulator.

-Bri

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bri- View Post
    Sprite collision also doesn't work with Fort Apocalypse, so I'm guessing it's a known incompatibility with Frodo. By the way, you can install the PC version of Frodo to test games first to make sure that it's not the emulator itself that's at fault rather than the DS port of the emulator.
    Shame that. Cauldron II was a great game ......... not to mention hugely frustrating. Actually it's probably best it doesn't work!

I've been having much better success with Congoblase's version of FrodoDS. Some games don't seem to work though - Barbarian 2 loads, you select your player & then the game crashes back to the 'ready' screen. I've not had much joy with 'Thrust' either. Would love to get that up & running. It loads but it doesn't seem to respond to the joypad. I seem to recall playing that game on my 64 with the keyboard. I'm sure it supported joysticks though.

DCEmu Newbie

Has anyone got a working .d64 of Alien Syndrome? I've tried loads & I can't find one that works. With TDE enabled I get as far as the loading screen. Then the screen goes blue & that's as far as I get.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi Guys,

After the last update fordo works on my M3ds-simply. I just dropped the package on the root ater substracting it. All the games in the package does work, accept some dont seem to respond on buttons (cant start some games). The problem is that i cant play roms that I;ve downloaded myself, like hunchback 1&2 and cauldron 1&2, and onther bunch of old classics. The the snapshop seem tom work the .ffs fils are there aftyer using the x button, but i get the message that the file isnt there. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information