I was excited to get hands on with PS5 and Xbox Series X, not just because I love games, but because I really wanted to understand why we needed new consoles in the first place.
In this pandemic ravaged year, I've not been able to go to E3 or Gamescom or EGX and try them, so it's been impossible to understand why these new machines were necessary. Sure, the traditional seven-year period was up, but in a generation where games have taken so long to make, did we have to stop at seven? We've had one solitary Rockstar game, and even more prolific studios like Naughty Dog have delivered just a couple of major releases. I thought I'd have played at least one new Ken Levine game on my Xbox One.
I had a recent discussion with a fellow journalist who called 2020 a "great swan song for PS4," referring to major, excellent games like Dreams, Final Fantasy 7, The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima (with more to follow). But this year didn't feel like a swan song to me. It felt more like a peak. The PS4 was firing past 100 million users, more people were engaged than ever, the games were (and are) still coming... I couldn't understand why now is the time to trade the machine in, or relegate it to the other TV so it can enjoy its retirement as the Netflix delivery system.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nsole-analysis