Thread: Victorian furniture or other? Identifying family furniture

Default Victorian furniture or other? Identifying family furniture

Hi!

I am trying to find out more about some furniture that belonged to my parents (please see attached pics).

It'd be interested in their value, but I am mostly interested in anything on their history/any special features the furniture might have. I am trying to decide whether to get a few items restored and am just curious to know more about these items that have been in my family.

1. I believe the wooden chairs with quite a bit of damage are Victorian, and I'm trying to ascertain whether it is worth having them fixed up down the line.

2. The leather and wood chair was bought in Heals in 1955 and is Scandinavian-made. I am not sure whether to have it newly upholstered or to keep the original suede, so any advice would be welcome.

3. Lastly, I think the cabinet is a music box or something of some kind. It has inlayed woodwork and baguettes of mirror glass, and I'm curious to understand more about its origins and value before i have it restored.

4. A chest/cabinet that seems to be made out of a hard wood. I thought it was from the 80s but someone recently commented it could be older, so I thought I'd ask.

Any help is much appreciated!

I would say that the wooden chairs usually would have cost about 200$ each? (Because they are wooden), but since they are used and damaged, you could probably sell it for half the price at best. The leather and wood chair might not cost much, till about 100$ I think? I mean to be fair, they quite old (since 1995 isn’t it?). And yes the cabinet is definitely a music box. It is very hard to define the price of music box since it depends on the wood and the mechanic of it. You should get it restored though! It looks very pretty. Anyways, if you change your mind than you can always go to gardenfurniture.co.uk for some new furniture. Sometimes it is best to let go things of the past )

Thread Information