Thread: Rumor: PS2 game downloads coming to PS store

Blog Entries

ps2 Rumor: PS2 game downloads coming to PS store

Looks like Sony's planning to hog even more of your sweet, sweet download bandwidth via the PlayStation Store, if a rumor posted on the N4G forums is to be believed. According to the post, downloadable PS2 games will be announced at E3 next month and will appear on the store this summer.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is prominently featured in the "leaked" image; the other games we can make out are Fantavision, Red Faction, Ridge Racer V, Smuggler's Run, SSX, and ... well, we're not quite sure what that last one is. Keen-eyed readers to the comments page! the last one is The Bouncer. Thanks, readers!

The info supposedly originates from a Sony Europe insider, who informed the poster that the roll-out will actually occur in Europe before the rest of the world. (Which is contrary to Sony's usual M.O.) This rumor comes on the heels of an actual official announcement by Sony that it will finally introduce a movie / video download service for PS3 this summer. It seems like this summer will see the PS3 experience evolving quite a bit, especially if this rumor pans out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/ru...g-to-ps-store/

The Bouncer? I beat that game in like 2 hours!

DCEmu Regular

But I thought the newer PS3s wasn't backwards compatible? Have they figured out how to softemulate these games? Will the disc versions of these games work as well?

DCEmu Old Pro

Quote Originally Posted by royvedas View Post
    But I thought the newer PS3s wasn't backwards compatible? Have they figured out how to softemulate these games? Will the disc versions of these games work as well?
    On the ones that are backwards compatible it's software emulation anyway. They just disabled it to make people buy more PS3 games.

Cloudy

No, the 60GB in North America and Japan both have hardware emulation.

I'm glad to hear that it was denied by Sony recently

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    I'm glad to hear that it was denied by Sony recently
    Good to have ya back :rofl:

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhunter View Post
    On the ones that are backwards compatible it's software emulation anyway. They just disabled it to make people buy more PS3 games.

Cloudy
    I will further correct you. The 60gb from the UK and the 80gb PS3 from everywhere use partial emulation. They still contain the graphics synthesizer from the ps2. There has never existed a ps3 which used pure software emulation for ps2 games. The 40gb version lacks all ps2 components, and Sony has yet to develop a fully-emulated solution.

This announcement, however, could indicate that they've completed an emulator sufficiently enough to run some early-generation ps2 titles. It is a good sign.

Thread Information