Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Datel to launch 4GB hard drive for PSP (Update)

Blog Entries

Default Datel to launch 4GB hard drive for PSP (Update)

Another article about the soon to become reality Hard drive for the PSP:

from GI.BiZ

Datel is to launch a new bundle that is designed to increase both the battery life and the storage capacity of Sony's popular PlayStation Portable handheld.

The bundle will include a hard disk drive which slots into the handheld's memory stick port to offer 4GB of extra space - enough for around eight movies, more than a thousand MP3s and a huge number of pictures and game saves.

It will come with the X2 Battery, which replaces the PSP's default battery and is said to last for twice as long - up to eight hours on a single charge, according to Datel. The bundle will also include a USB cable for connecting the PSP to a PC.

There's no word on pricing as yet, though the X2 Battery is already on sale in the UK for GBP 34.99. Online retailer Lik-Sang is taking preorders for USD 249.99 but warns customers that "The current price is only the best bet available at our bookmaker right now, it could go up or hopefully down."

Datel has yet to confirm a European release date for the bundle.

DCEmu Newbie

I had an email from darkplanets.com saying:

We can now confirm the following:
    It is a physical hard drive (Micro Drive) not solid state/flash memory.
    It does connect with a small cable to the memory stick slot

More info- http://www.darkplanets.co.uk/datel-4gb-harddrive.asp

DCEmu Legend

But at 4gigs for a proposed price of 250 USD, that is ridiculous and one might as well wait for a 4 gig memory stick...

The only good thing that would come out of this is hacking it to take larger HDs, which I bet will be on the horizon soon after its release.

DCEmu Rookie

i like the sound of the batery. if they develop a stand alone battery that fits in with the original looks of the psp then i will get it, but 4 gig.... its big, but not *that* big... what could you do with that that you couldnt do with a 1 gig mem stick?

i will hold out for a uber memory stick i think. they'll have a break through in technology soon enough, and fit 20 gig in a space that small, and ill be happy

any intelligent person will wait for the usb hdd adaptors a few teams (xecuter and onyx) are working on currently. I think 80 or 120gb that costs less than datels 4 will make the datel adopters very unhappy indeed.

DCEmu Newbie

the max 2 battery is availble seperatly, look anywhere and you'll find it

as for a IDE and other adapters, they are all around the corner. People wont miss out on developing hardware like that for the PSP/aka softmod game booting, multimedia machine hehe

PS3 User

I dont think the price is to outragous. You get a 1 gig memory stick for *around* 100 bucks and for 4 you can get it for 250 and also a battery that doubles the life. Thats not to bad and if I actually had anywhere near that amount for spending on stuff like this I probably would, but do you really think they will have 80 gig drives for psp and cheaper then 250 bucks? I highley doubt it will fit in the memory card slot, or it will be strapped on somehow making it really a bother to deal with. But hey thats just me~

Angry You wanna talk about outragous ?!

Allright lets wax evils for a seconed
    Whats outragous is the psp hasnt been on the market for even a full year yet,
    Sony has already prooven to the world that us (die hard video game fans )
    Are really just suckers with money
    And as if the golden milk cow memstick market wasnt enough now they want to throw even more over priced unnecessary junk at us and we'll buy it cause need I remind you , weve prooven to sony were just that gulible and will buy there crap. cause we just love our psp (that much )

I remember back in the day the gameboy had so many useless upgrades. that if you bought them all and used them in perfect harmony. the poor gameboy looked somthing simmiler to a flux compacitor for the delorin in the back to the future movies

My point is. they spend all this money . (our money ) the money we paid them for there worthless little addons and doo-dads. on makeing what ! another ps2 hard drive? Now all we f-ing need is for them to throw final fantasy xi on it and call it a day.
    *f- it im done. My psp does all I ever wanted it to.. not another umd not another comercial game.

Ps. If you got the preception that im angry your right. If they spent half the money on makeing good games for the damned thing as they do on worthless unnecessary bull$#@! maybe we would see some decent games on the damned thing

I mean look for just a seconed. The homebrew scene has always been my diggs. But for the first time ever in a consoles cycle. The homebrew scene is more popular then the comercial market! WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE??

THERE ARE NO GREAT TITLES OUT THERE. oh sure you can say well what about this and what about that. but you know as well as I do. Where is the resident evils ? the final fantasys? you can even bring up grand theft auto. well go ahead and bring it up. You all know grand theft isnt one of the legendary titles!! its all about copying a really great idea over and over again untill were all sick of it.

Ps AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

F**K -IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by VFerg
    I dont think the price is to outragous. You get a 1 gig memory stick for *around* 100 bucks and for 4 you can get it for 250 and also a battery that doubles the life. Thats not to bad and if I actually had anywhere near that amount for spending on stuff like this I probably would, but do you really think they will have 80 gig drives for psp and cheaper then 250 bucks? I highley doubt it will fit in the memory card slot, or it will be strapped on somehow making it really a bother to deal with. But hey thats just me~

Dood, so you would pay the price of a brand new PSP for a f***in battery and whopping 4 gig harddrive??

Screw that! The battery is worth maybe 50 bucks and 4 gigs of HD space is worth all of about 2 dollars. I could buy a 350 gig hard drive for 100 dollars LESS than that!

I'll wait for Memstick to IDE I think. Or will wait until someone else hacks this 'addon' to accept any size hard-drive. Then maybe I'll buy it, when I know I can strap on a 350 gig hard drive and be good to go.

This Website says the release date is 20/10/2005 Does something sound odd about that date??? Kinda like it doesnt exist. As far as I know thiers only 12 months in a year. Am I right or did I miss something?

http://www.darkplanets.co.uk/datel-4gb-harddrive.asp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information