Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dgen PSP v1.10c (Genesis Emulator for PSP)

Blog Entries

Default Dgen PSP v1.10c (Genesis Emulator for PSP)

Syn-Z has once again updated Dgen for PSP, Dgen is now it seems the best Genesis emulator for the PSP, this release is the first to try out wireless play (quasi-link play) Thanks to Smiths for the update.

Downloads here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/dgenpsp.shtml

So when is will it be updated to support SegaCD ISOs?
    Gotta get my "ol'-school" Lunar on.

DCEmu Regular

My guess is that you're going to have to wait a long time or forever to get Sega CD emulation on the PSP. Genesis emulation is still not 100% speed and to emulate the Sega/Mega CD would require even more power to emulate. It just might be quite a while, and that's if the author even wants to attempt to try it. I would love to play some of my sega cd games on my psp, especially snatcher and all the other working design games, but I'm affraid I'm stuck with the awesome Gens emulator on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by geise69
    My guess is that you're going to have to wait a long time or forever to get Sega CD emulation on the PSP. Genesis emulation is still not 100% speed and to emulate the Sega/Mega CD would require even more power to emulate. It just might be quite a while, and that's if the author even wants to attempt to try it. I would love to play some of my sega cd games on my psp, especially snatcher and all the other working design games, but I'm affraid I'm stuck with the awesome Gens emulator on my PC.
    Nice, but I'm wrong. See, the actual SegaCD ISOs themselves are about the size of a good SCUMMVM game. Rather than the emulator engine running the ROM itself, it just loads the ISO. Of course, SegaCD BIOS support would HAVE to be implemented into the emulator or as an "add-on" via a menu switch or something. It doesn't require more "power" per se, just a different way to access the ISO. In other words, all the SegaCD used the CD for was because at that time 650 MB CDs could hold a bigger "ROM" than a cart could and the SegaCD games themselves were just coded to load off the CD instead of a cart. Ask any of the game devs at that time (i.e. Working Designs) and they will say the same.
    Now, 32X introduced actual new HARDWARE that a game had to be specially coded for.
    I'm curious why DGEN was ported since all work on it - to my knowledge - has been discontinued everywhere else.
    Hmmm...perhaps a Kega, Gens, or Gens+ port would be better?
    I need to research all that.

DCEmu Regular

So I guess all a real sega cd system is is a black box you put cd's in? Just so you know the Sega CD has another video chip and more sound hardware and another m68k. There is more to sega cd emulation than you think. I wish I was wrong cause I want to play sega cd games on my psp as well, especially the lunar games. If you want more info on the sega cd check out this page. It has some great info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_CD

does anyone know if this works with the eboot loader 1.7 for v2.0???

i meant 0.7

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by iball
    Nice, but wrong. See, the actual SegaCD ISOs themselves are about the size of a good SCUMMVM game. Rather than the emulator engine running the ROM itself, it just loads the ISO. Of course, SegaCD BIOS support would HAVE to be implemented into the emulator or as an "add-on" via a menu switch or something. It doesn't require more "power" per se, just a different way to access the ISO. In other words, all the SegaCD used the CD for was because at that time 650 MB CDs could hold a bigger "ROM" than a cart could and the SegaCD games themselves were just coded to load off the CD instead of a cart. Ask any of the game devs at that time (i.e. Working Designs) and they will say the same.
    Now, 32X introduced actual new HARDWARE that a game had to be specially coded for.
    I'm curious why DGEN was ported since all work on it - to my knowledge - has been discontinued everywhere else.
    Hmmm...perhaps a Kega, Gens, or Gens+ port would be better?
    I need to research all that.

Dude, you're horribly wrong. What's worse is that in being wrong you were telling another person they were wrong. The Sega CD has a second M68000 as well as extra video and sound hardware. It's much more than a storage mechanism.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Hmm...seems the PSP Genesis one is based off Generator.
    Generator includes it's own M68000 emulator, which is easily portable.
    I don't think DGEN can handle it, but modifying Gens would probably result in a too-slow-to-play emulator....
    Hmmm...but DGEN MIGHT be able to be recoded to implement the M68000 emulator code from Generator. But I would have to look at the PSP port source code of DGEN to see if it's possible.
    Currently no Genesis/Megadrive ports to the PSP are based off ANY that included SegaCD support, either from the beginning or as a later add-on.
    Now, I'm sure the DGEN porter and the PSPgenesis porter both looked around at the various sources and probably selected the two they did due to ease-of-portability (especially the Generator source...that one has been ported to almost EVERYTHING!).
    So in order to get an emulator on the PSP that supports the SegaCD, someone will probably have to port over either Gens+ or Kega. Those two also do SMS and 32x.
    Hmmm...the main problem is that some of these are optimized for DirectX, which is NOT on the PSP. They would have to be hardware optimized for the PSP itself, no easy undertaking.
    Well, it looks like I'm going to have to install CygWin again and get the PSPSDK from ps2dev.org working on it and have a go at experimenting. No promises.

And I edited my first post to reflect the severe WRONGNESS of my thinking.
    I went back out and researched it more, and you're right about the second processor and extra hardware included.
    I'm a man, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll own up to it.

DCEmu Newbie

Question Where is the wireless play?

I looked through all he menu's and options and I was unable to locate the wireless play. Can someone point this out pls?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information