Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parents Let Kid Drop Out of High School to Focus on Guitar Hero

Blog Entries

General games Parents Let Kid Drop Out of High School to Focus on Guitar Hero

Let's try to keep the bad parenting bait to a minimum for this one, folks, but holy crow, I can't not show you this story. Yesterday reader tooji tipped me off to the story of Blake Peebles, a 16-year-old in Raleigh, N.C., whose parents have let him drop out of school so that he can focus on a professional gaming career via Guitar Hero.

Blake convinced his folks (that is, "We couldn't take the complaining anymore," said his mom) to let him drop out last September. They hired in-home tutors to continue his education there, at least, but there's no doubt priority number one is Guitar Hero. There's a vaguely defined goal of Blake playing it professionally, either through Major League Gaming or by winning prizes in a national and international competitions. But so far he's only made about $1,000, most of that value realized in meals and other freebies won at local competitions. The other pro gamer the reporter contacted for this story said he's cashed in about $25,000 in his entire career.

The description of Blake's room, his interests (or lack thereof) , and his folks' decision to let him do this just ... well, the don't make anyone look good. It would be one thing if the guy was a bona fide music or athletic prodigy. However quixotic a career in either field might be for the majority who pursue it, at least there's a long history of it paying off if you are that good enough. But Blake's never touched a real guitar (cue up the get-a-life bait). He didn't seem interested in much of anything in high school (a Christian academy where his parents had enrolled him) and wheedled his way out of going by complaining that it was a waste of time. (That line should sound very familiar to my folks. If only playing Master of the Lamps on the Commodore 64 could have won me some free Chik-Fil-A. I might have had better luck.)

You gotta read it to believe it, and nearly three weeks after it was first published, it is still one of The News & Observer's top e-mailed stories. Try to keep it civil in the comments, gang, especially if you aren't a parent. I'm not, but I'll admit this blows my mind.

http://kotaku.com/5037975/parents-le...on-guitar-hero

that is pretty ridiculous

like, i could see parents letting the kid drop out of school for general gaming, but just guitar hero? thats crazy.

Yeah, it's strange. But I hope the kid will not fail. I would prefer to finish school anyway.

Guitar Hero. Ok this is more ridiculous than people thinking Guitar Hero is exactly the same as playing Guitar...

Guitar Hero deserves to be band, it causes Violence.

I live like 5 minutes away from Raleigh, strange...

My brothers band just hired a keyboardist who's only 16 (he's really really good) and they're in the recording studio right now, I'm pretty sure his parents would let him drop out when they get signed but I hardly think playing guitar hero is a valid reason...

PSP User

This is part of what gives video games the association with being for utter lazy-a** wastes of space and oxygen. This along with those people that play WoW without stopping until they/their pets/ their children (not WoW specific, but MMORPG in general) die from hunger, starvation, or other forms of neglect. People should only drop out if:

1.) They need to get a job IMMEDIATELY to support their family.

2.) They have already found a job that is in some way stable AND productive, such as entertainment.

3.) They have somehow procured enough money to gurantee the ability to be financially stable for many years to come. (Not their parents' money, their own money.)

4.) They have found some way to be successful in life w/o an education. Working at a McDonalds/Wendy's/Burger King does not count unless you own the restaraunt. Same goes for other food service or cashier related stuff.

25 grand in a career?

that sounds more like a year of pay working at the mall

good luck with the complaining ... he is going to be doing that at age 40 in your basement

Hey! Fück getting an education, going to college, meeting people, and hopefully getting a good job, stay at home and win $50 in a Guitar Hero competition!

The one that taps the little plastic tab the best is the #1 ROCKSTAR.

I would feel for him a lot more if he was playing a real guitar, but not Guitar Hero... There's no ****ing future in it.

yea, real guitar is cooler.. not a fkn game! GH suck

Blog Entries

Stupid parent, stupid kid. That's just the world we live in. Idiots are all around us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information