Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP Flash Player Coding Contest - $500 prize!

Blog Entries

Lightbulb PSP Flash Player Coding Contest - $500 prize!

News from PSPHacks.Net

<blockquote>We are pleased to announce the commencement of a PSP Homebrew Application Coding Contest co-sponsored by PSPHacks.net and RK Digital.

The demand for a standalone PSP Flash Player is well known among the PSP Community, and we are positive that an award might motivate an individual or group to prioritize this project.

What we require this application to do, In order of priorities (meaning the lower on the list the more expendable they are):

1. SWF Format playback - Faithfully play back .swf media full screen, the newer the Shockwave File format, the better
    2. Keyboard Emulation - Map PSP buttons to navigation (same way keyboard navigation would work on a PC app)
    3. Actionscript Support
    4. Kiosk Mode - Boot PSP directly into .SWF file and on subsequent restarts (optional)

Schematics and test media files will be provided to aid in development.

A very basic Flash player based on Mplayer is built into FileAssistant, which is open source and should be used if helpful.

Additionally, there exists ongoing Open Source Flash Initiatives which should also facilitate a PSP port. More info can be found at:
    http://www.osflash.org/
    http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/

The Award is $500 and will go to the individual or group who delivers the most advanced application by the deadline.
    The 2nd Award is that which is given back to the PSP Community, a fully functioning, polished, Open Source PSP Flash Player Application. Please respect the spirit of Open-Source and collaborate - in the case of a group submission, we will help in determining which players made the most significant contributions and should therefore receive more.</blockquote>

Wow. Man, I hope that if a standalone SWF player is made for this, that it works with the 2.00 eboot loader.

this is getting rediculous
    just convert the swf files to mpeg/avi/something
    then use pspvideo 9 to convert to psp

swf to mpeg or avi converter:
    http://www.flydownloads.com/download.../swf2video.exe

psp video 9 link
    http://www.pspvideo9.com

Quote Originally Posted by xuphorz
    this is getting rediculous
    just convert the swf files to mpeg/avi/something
    then use pspvideo 9 to convert to psp

swf to mpeg or avi converter:
    http://www.flydownloads.com/download.../swf2video.exe

psp video 9 link
    http://www.pspvideo9.com
    1: Lowers quality. At least with the 3-4 convertors I've tried...INCLUDING THAT ONE. With the Amor SWF2Video it practically kills the audio.
    2: Some SWFs are put together in a freakish way that makes convertors only convert the first 14 or so frames...which is only a second or two. And yet others will freeze on a menu or something because they don't allow you to interact with the Flash.
    3: Any Interaction-like content won't work if you convert it, ya know...and some flashes REALLY rely on interaction.

4: YES I HAVE used the method your suggesting. Harder to do then you'd think. Some SWFs just don't seem to like being converted...

weird
    never tried it myself, but it does apparently work most of the time acc to thew site
    but alot of probs reported

i'll try to find a good one

There is a PC application (I forgot the name) that records anything from the defined screen segment as AVI with user defined frame rate and sound quality. It works like a VCR for your pc screen....It's shareware with full capabilitys open for 30 days...
    I used it to convert some funky flash cartoons to my cell phone's series60 mobiclip format - It worked like a charm ;-) since there was no good flash player for that platform either.. Although some commercial companies looked in to it...

Quote Originally Posted by deniska
    There is a PC application (I forgot the name) that records anything from the defined screen segment as AVI with user defined frame rate and sound quality. It works like a VCR for your pc screen....It's shareware with full capabilitys open for 30 days...
    I used it to convert some funky flash cartoons to my cell phone's series60 mobiclip format - It worked like a charm ;-) since there was no good flash player for that platform either.. Although some commercial companies looked in to it...
    Yeah, I've heard of that program quite a few times...buuuut...
    Personally, I'd rather have a free SWF player for the PSP rather than record my entire screens contents...(Zero quality lost as opposed to quality loss when converting Flash to another format first)...mainly because I suck at cropping video to cut the rest of the screen out, and when in full screen flash movies slow down on me...anyways, this contest already started, soooo...it's not like it's just gonna end because a better flash to video convertor method is found. So I'm personally just going to wait and hope for the best outcome for this

DCEmu Regular

a flash swf player is more than a video player...
    you can do games with action script...you can even do 3d and stuf similar to mode7 with the latest version of flash (8)...
    also flash environment is userfriendly and it would be an easy solution for everybody willing to do a game but have none or few coding ability...

DCEmu Regular

I'd like to chip in $20 towards a Flash Player for the PSP! I'd love to watch Homestar Runner on the PSP, as well as access the HUGE list of flash games out there. I imagine somebody Sony will release a Flash player as part of Firmware 3.0, once that Firmware 2.5 hack picks up steam.

It's always the Carrot on a string with Sony. Does anybody even used that remote video streamer in Firmware 2.5? If they are going to bait us into upgrading, at least offer us something cool! How about Internet Radio... oh wait, you can already get that in Firmware 1.5....

Homebrew 1 - Sony 0

My point was - since lot's of people failed to implement a fully functional Flash player on other mobile platforms, I would not hold my breath waiting for a mirracle here.. but rather explore alternatives :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information