Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOSBOXDC released

Sorry i know this is really late and you might possibly have this working already. But this is for anyone whose just downloading the emulator. You should have 1ST_READ.bin dosbox.conf and of course all the games in seperate folders aswell as the IP.bin which i dont know if i can tell you where its at or not but search it over the web and you should be able to find it.

Eric

DCEmu Rookie

Out of curiousity, is this actually still a active project, or for now freezed?

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream
    Out of curiousity, is this actually still a active project, or for now freezed?
    The code is available for anyone who would like to continue on it.

I am not actively working on it anymore.

Troy(GPF)

i have grabbed copies of cygwin and kos, and i'm going to attempt to build dosbox 0.65 (as it fixes most games) using troy's 0.60 code as a template.

i have little coding experiance beyond some work i did in the gbc scene, including initiative's freespace project. (where i was just art director)

any help with getting this up and rolling would be appreciated.

i'm gonna start a new thread for this tho in my own privboot forum at http://beam.to/privboot

Quote Originally Posted by lorddeathmark View Post
    i have grabbed copies of cygwin and kos, and i'm going to attempt to build dosbox 0.65 (as it fixes most games) using troy's 0.60 code as a template.

i have little coding experiance beyond some work i did in the gbc scene, including initiative's freespace project. (where i was just art director)

any help with getting this up and rolling would be appreciated.

i'm gonna start a new thread for this tho in my own privboot forum at http://beam.to/privboot
    Good luck, I ported 0.63 also but they made changes to the dosbox codebase after 0.60 that requires alot more memory then the dreamcast has. Maybe its changed it in 0.65?

Troy(GPF)

can i get a copy of that and the source too?
    i'm stuck trying to compile kOS and i'm not getting very far, so any short cuts anyone can afford me would go a long way.

the real purpose of the project is to run one very specific game called Privateer which only requires:
    386 processor
    vga video card
    8 megs ram
    Sound Blaster/Adlib
    Joystick/Mouse
    it uses a built-in memory manager called JEMM

whats funny is that 0.61 fully supports this game

Quote Originally Posted by lorddeathmark View Post
    can i get a copy of that and the source too?
    i'm stuck trying to compile kOS and i'm not getting very far, so any short cuts anyone can afford me would go a long way.

the real purpose of the project is to run one very specific game called Privateer which only requires:
    386 processor
    vga video card
    8 megs ram
    Sound Blaster/Adlib
    Joystick/Mouse
    it uses a built-in memory manager called JEMM

I recommend setting up the dc dev iso, if you have a windows box, otherwise ask for specific errors/questions in the dreamcast dev forum here.

here is my dosbox 0.63 port that doesn't work, right now my dc dev environment is messed up so I can't compile it and see at what state I left the code.

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/dosbox-0.63DCsrc.rar

Troy(GPF)

i got the DDE installed, i'm looking at code and i am lost, but i'm comparing the 0.60 to 0.65, hopefully i find out what was enabled that chew the memory so badly and either turn it off or replace it with the older code

i've just noticed several things about dosbox, primarily dynamic memory use. running any game using a 386's memory map is almost impossible, the emulator itself exhausts the memory before anything can be loaded. a port of dosbox to gamecube to run protected mode games would likly work; mostly because of the memory available to the gc but also because the cpu could handle the additional emulation needed for the gpu's fpu functions (which the gc's ati video adapter could handle nativly anyhow, in theory). this is all with out mentioning the 386's 32bit multiplication error that privateer itself compensates for and the problems arising from that on the dc.

this is depressing, the project dies before it really gets off the ground, dosbox for dc will be stuck with 286 functionality and cga graphics.

how did you guys (those in the scene and know what they are doing) get ScummVM and all those delphine games running? that maybe privateer's only hope.

what about porting something like this?
    Gemini Gold is a "purist" remake..

http://priv.solsector.net/files.htm

This is the nonpurist remake..

http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/

I just did a little googling and am not familiar with the game so I have no idea if they are worth porting or if its possible.

I am not familiar with ScummVM on the dreamcast so not sure how they handle memory.

Maybe there is an open source engine that uses the original data files somewhere?

Troy(GPF)

yeah i know both versions, i've used both and they are good but they were written by the same group of guys lead by hellcatv aka tigershark. and i was thinking about that last option just now, i imagine one would be able to exist, but there is none now that i know of. and i'm not the guy to make one, i'm just a cut and paste hack.

i'm cracking open trillian, i'm gonna hit a chat room i love and see if someone might know if one exists or even help coding one. beyondirc.net's #wing-commander room, previously on dalnet before it started sucking.

MYJEMM, it runs the original executables under windows 9x and ME. it IS open source, but it seems most of the links are dead.

i'm trying to compile at least the original 0.60 source, i plan on using this as experiance once i get my hands on a copy of myjemm14src.zip

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information