Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spore is an "attack on Christian values"

I think he is mistaking an attack on 'Christian' (western) values with a a game that demonstrates in basic terms a rational (yet more difficult to convey than the competition) concept (Darwinian evolution) to kids, such that they may take to reason and real active discussion/increasing of understanding of concepts over doctrine.

I've never played the game, but when the heavily religious oppose something for seemingly no real moral reason, its generally a self defence mechanism against harm to the indoctrination process.
    I know this is not true of many religious groups, but the actions of evangelicals in the US seems to often be teaching fear/hatred of logic and reason to protect the doctrine/status quo.

I have no problem with people believing in whatever 'untestable' divinity they care to imagine (or have imparted to their understanding from a young age by others), its when people start personifying 'the creator' with values and preferences and wanting to push them onto others that the problems start.
    It's far easier to espouse a bigotry as 'divine' than an inherited cultural bias.

They really needn't worry, I doubt too many religious kids are going to abandon their faith over the game.

The bible got a mention, so I would like to recommend the book The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins to all.
    Last edited by bah; September 11th, 2008 at 13:02.

DCEmu Regular

I'd like to bring up the pre-release controversy that this sparked among some extremist Atheists. In practice, Spore is an intelligent design model of the beginnings of life. After all, what role is the gamer playing in Spore?

It reminds me of the divine clockmaker analogy that my religious tutors told me to shun. The view is that of a god who builds the mechanism of the universe, then sits back and lets it run itself. (My tutors were of the "God micromanages every aspect of everything everyday with a unknowably wise and perfect plan, and the universe would fall apart without His guidance" school.)

For the record, I consider myself Agnostic.

One final thing: I noticed that one of you mentioned that the crazies tend to cling to the Old Testament more than the New. That might or might not be true, depending on the case, but from what I've seen, most of the real hate-mongers tend to cling to the writings of Paul. Many of his writings are letters to the various Christian churches of his day and contain advice that was specifically intended for them. Unfortunately, the context is lost on many readers, who thus believe that his advice is actually cold, hard, inflexible doctrine. Thus we still have people going around claiming, for instance, that it is sinful for women to speak in church.

Actual last thing: I've been amused by the numerous posts petitioning "Mod" for the supervision and guidance of this thread. Keeping in that spirit, I wish you all a good day; and may Mod be with you all.

I dont care if there's a game where you evolve, I played Pokemon
    People get so worked up over this $#@!.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iniquitous_beast View Post
    Actual last thing: I've been amused by the numerous posts petitioning "Mod" for the supervision and guidance of this thread. Keeping in that spirit, I wish you all a good day; and may Mod be with you all.
    I wasnt asking for guidance.. I said they should watch this thread because it was going to turn bad then when the troll arrived I asked for them to do something about it. If you had the power to warn or ban a troll perhaps I would have asked for you.

Extremist's beliefs are often far ditatched from the original meaning of the writings they "follow". The old testament is not the only religious writing with the capability of being vastly misinterpreted by extremists. With enough imagination you can get what ever you want out of any book.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    With enough imagination you can get what ever you want out of any book.
    So, I don't have a problem for pretending to ride dragons while reading My Life: Bill Clinton?

Ok he says EA is forcing evolution on people, evolution is SCIENTIFIC FACT!, and if he thinks EA is pushy on there views and thinks that's wrong, hes a Hippie cause what the hell is he doing huh? He is being a pusher for magical bull flop that we just appeared and that we are the center of the universe. I think the guy needs to learn a lesson from spore, and evolve a brain. People are allowed there opinion, it's called FREE SPEECH, if you agree with me, hooray for you, if not bite me this is my educated opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    So, I don't have a problem for pretending to ride dragons while reading My Life: Bill Clinton?
    No and anyone who tells you any different is a Nazi.

Considering that this game when first released was flooded with deformed penis looking creatures, I doubt anyone whose actually played the game will misinterpret it and have their beliefs offended.

DCEmu Old Pro

It is a lame hoax.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information