Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Modern Games Stand the Test of Time?

Blog Entries

General games Will Modern Games Stand the Test of Time?

The Multiplayer blog spoke with Tadashi Iguchi, one of the developers for the recent Pac-man and Galaga remakes, about the decision to bring new life to old classics and whether today's games will receive similar treatment twenty years down the road.
    "'I think more than half of the games you see today with huge budgets and such a "realistic" focus will be either stale or forgotten in 20 years,' he said. 'On the other hand, the masterpieces of the '80s will definitely be enjoyed far into the future. The reason for this is simple — many of these classic titles have unique and fascinating mechanics that can't be diminished by the advancement of technology.'"

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...8/09/12/007223

DCEmu Legend

That's a very good question. I'm not sure most games today will be revived and given new life in 20 years like the retro classics of the 80's have been revived.

However, with technology likely to be at an unimaginable advanced level in 20 years, I could see maybe taking cues from the Wii and interactivity to let us literally be in the game.

Either by interacting directly with our brains or by some advanced version of virtual reality.

This is a good question for developers to keep in mind. They should ask themselves if they truly think the game will stand the test of time and maintain popularity over a 20 year life-span. This could lead to much better games.

No way. I don't think today's games will be remade, let alone remembered, in 20 years. The original games were just that, original. They were also short and sweet, many only had one screen/ background. In 20 years, people might remember big franchises, but I don't think they will remember individual titles.

I could see a few select games being remade for graphical enhancement.
    Maybe games like Bioshock, more popular Nintendo games, the Halo series, etc.

Anything that was a best seller 5/5 game I think could be remade in the future.

Anyone want to play Counter-Strike Source 2?

Not a chance in hell today's games will be remade. Still played? Perhaps. Just look at Doom, 15 years later and its still being played.
    Quote Originally Posted by locdogg on SA forums
    I took a sociology class once that said there are gangs of Depeche Mode fans in Russia. Think about that. A gang who's identity is built on liking Depeche Mode.

Some I think will most certainly stand the test of time.

Gears Of War being one of them, and most probably Gears Of War 2 will be added to that list.

Only time will tell though.
    My Business (Games, Apps & More):

Gremlin Interactive

i really dont think its a valid question

any game could be remade if someone had a fond memory of such a game, no matter what era they came from

you see alot of 80's remakes because they take jack for cpu power and they are simple to implement

yes they were great games, but no better than any other great game in any other time

DCEmu Newbie

I'd say it's probably going to be like it is with movies. There were a lot of movies in the 80's that were praised for innovative special effects, and not much else. Plus, there has always been a lot of derivative movies that are formulaic that sell well at the box office but are forgotten a few months later. Movies become classic not because of going with high technology or whatever "works." I'd say it's the really innovative games and games that dare to be different that will be classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    That's a very good question. I'm not sure most games today will be revived and given new life in 20 years like the retro classics of the 80's have been revived.

However, with technology likely to be at an unimaginable advanced level in 20 years, I could see maybe taking cues from the Wii and interactivity to let us literally be in the game.

Either by interacting directly with our brains or by some advanced version of virtual reality.

This is a good question for developers to keep in mind. They should ask themselves if they truly think the game will stand the test of time and maintain popularity over a 20 year life-span. This could lead to much better games.
    whatever he says

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    Did somebody say PS9?
    Last edited by Eviltaco64; September 13th, 2008 at 15:16. Reason: In the other pic, his fingernails looked dirty. 'Nuff said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information