Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC CD tray thinger

I have been thinking about modding a dreamcast to load a cd like a car CD player, I think it would look sexy... Problem is I dont want to ruin my nice car cd player. I will probally buy a broke one as long as the loading part works.

Thats an awesome idea, I personally think it would look damn awesome

But for now i'm sticking with a CD Tray.

The lasers are unlikely to be compatible, but it's a possibility.

The spindle motor is really unlikely to work, the DC needs to be able to adjust the speed the disc spins at, a differant motor would cause problems. That one had 11 pins because it uses a controller that is not integrated into the motor housing.

Use the original DC laser and motor.

I belive he said he was using the DC lens but he couldnt remove the spindle because it was sealed. Id just break the seal at the spot where it was first sealed using a old soldering pen then if the dc motor is the same size and slip it in, then melt the seal back so it holds the motor well.

I'm going to have to find a place to obtain some old CD drives that I can use to butcher parts from, I don't think this one will work too great after all =\

Anyone know of a way to make an open/close circuit? It's a bitch to isolate the one on this board, but for now i'll try and get it working with the whole thing.

I havent seen any cd-roms with the open/close part anywhere but the mainboard, I think it would be too complicated to make too... You would have to ask someone else who has done this...

DCEmu Newbie

Hey!
    How's the drive coming along?? I am looking to do this also, and was excited to see this post. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to electronics, so if you guys have put together any tutorials / instructions.... Well, I'm looking forward to seeing how the project comes out. You will be posting pictures, right? Thanks.

I think this mod has been aborted until a drive can be found that has seperate open/close circuits and also seperate circuits that make the lens bob up and down or even a drive with a small enough mainboard.

I havn't aborted this at all (yet) :P

It's just recently "real life" syndrome has been catching up with me leaving me not much time to do anything =\

I think I could get it working with the parts I have now, but this CD ROM Drive is a bit...well, I found it easier to work with older drives than this one, so I gotta go rob parts from any old PC's I can get my hands on.

Regardless i'll still make an attempt with this, see what I can get, but I also wanna get a spare DC too, so if I bust this one, it's not all over.

If I get any progress I shall post images.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information