Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Homebrew Going Through a Barren Spell ?

Blog Entries

Default Is Homebrew Going Through a Barren Spell ?

Im posting this in off topic becuase it really only belongs here, but for me the last say 3 or 4 months the whole homebrew scene with the exception of releases for the DS scene in the Neoflash Contest has been quiet with only a few glimpses of hope.

The PSP scene has quietened down majorly for me with only the odd release that really gets the juices flowing and no breakthrough that really pusshes the system for a while.

Wii Scene for me seems to be doomed by that impending iso loader, make no mistake its bad for the scene, if the likes of bushing etc get pissed and pack up then we may lose homebrew on the Wii, unlike Sony with the PSP, Nintendo are actively persuing shops, sites and more with a lot of money behind them, my biggest fear is that they somehow deem by legal methods that say the twilight hack is legal, again im no legal person but big companys can afford to piss over the little guy in court and even the likes of QJ/Max-console with their Millionaire owners cant take on the likes of Nintendo.

The Gamecube scene because of the Wii scene has seen its most active year since it was started and is probably the most exciting and least to feel any after effects.

The DS scene has seen some very good releases esp via Neoflash Contest, i personally with to seemore emulators pushing this baby.

GBA scene is mostly dead now apart from a few emulators and the odd game.

GP2x will most certainly die once Pandora is released and the Wiz wont get the attention it deserves because its coming after Pandora.

PS3 scene isnt getting the juices flowing despite the fact that bd-j homebrew is playable on nearly all ps3 consoles.

still the 360 has lacklustre XNA and no real homebrew and the xbox scene uses the illegal xdk, surely by now alegal alternative could have been made.

am i right or very wrong, i just feel very downbeat at the moment, yes theres some great stuff released but overall its been a barren few months/year overall.

The Pandora may get the juices flowing again majorly though?

I myself feel that the scene is in a rut right now and that it's in (or needs to be in) a state of transition.

The PSP scene has really been dying since December 2007, a month or so after the first PicoDrive and R13 were released. I think it's still going strong, and really right now it depends on if certain projects are being picked up again or not.

By next year, I'm sure Pandora will have a decent scene and maybe PS1 or Nintendo 64 emulation.

The Wii/Gamecube scene is going great aside from the ISO Loader. Currently I think it's the most active scene and I think both consoles will have a strong scene for maybe another 2 years with both consoles being pushed to their limit to bring us some decent emulators.

I wonder if PS3 or 360 could handle Saturn?

The Wii homebrew scene needs NEW things that actually take advantage of its power. A PSX emulator and an N64 emulator that doesn't suck sounds nice, and I'm sure someones gonna shoot me down for saying this but a dreamcast or PS2 emulator would be crazy.

Oh, and the ISO loader isn't gonna do jack to the homebrew scene, since Waninkoko's not even working on it anymore. Or so he says.

I want a homebrew capable PS3. THEN we'd see results. Wii emulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    The Wii homebrew scene needs NEW things that actually take advantage of its power. A PSX emulator and an N64 emulator that doesn't suck sounds nice, and I'm sure someones gonna shoot me down for saying this but a dreamcast or PS2 emulator would be crazy.

Oh, and the ISO loader isn't gonna do jack to the homebrew scene, since Waninkoko's not even working on it anymore. Or so he says.

I want a homebrew capable PS3. THEN we'd see results. Wii emulator?
    Dreamcast - I remember drkIIraziel saying that he wanted to port NullDC to the Wii. It's a possibility.

PS2 - NOPE NU UH IT AINT GONE HAPPEN.

Dream Coder

Nice to know people still remember Dreamcast Homebrew -_-
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    Nice to know people still remember Dreamcast Homebrew -_-
    I was just talking about Dreamcast in the IRC like 2 hours ago
    Honestly, though, I dont see many homebrew releases for the DC these days.

Homebrew is lame lately.

No new good DC homebrew. No more good PSP homebrew.

Wii homebrew has alittle promise but it wont be the new old psp scene.

Maybe its a dying trend?
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Default Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Triv1um View Post
    Homebrew is lame lately.

No new good DC homebrew. No more good PSP homebrew.

Wii homebrew has alittle promise but it wont be the new old psp scene.

Maybe its a dying trend?
    If 360 or PS3 got hacked, I think there'd be a revival.

Yes, and I think the PS3 will do a better job at reviving it.

Everyone knows its a powerhouse so the hopes will be higher, and people will invest just in the hopes of a new PSP scene.

It would do wonders, but i cant see it happening.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Quote Originally Posted by Triv1um View Post
    Yes, and I think the PS3 will do a better job at reviving it.

Everyone knows its a powerhouse so the hopes will be higher, and people will invest just in the hopes of a new PSP scene.

It would do wonders, but i cant see it happening.
    I honestly think that if PS3 were hacked, it could handle Wii and Saturn emulation. That'd be amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information