Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traveller, online RPG

Here is a quick copy of my current status on the client/server. After an hour or so of nailing down a few render errors, and teaching PHP who's boss, I've got a working mapserver. Currently nothing is supported bar connecting to the world server, sending the user-string and recieving the inital mapset, which is retrieved from my local SQL server, but if anyone could give this a quick run-down on their PSP and report back if it works, I would be most gratefull.

I'll be leaving the server up for most of the day, so you should be able to connect without any problems.

NOTE, that this is in no way accurately show what the game will be like once I am done programming. This is the first draft of the client and server, and there will many many more to come.

DCEmu Newbie

Can Anyone confirm that it is working, as it sounds really really cool.

See Sony this is the reason why you have to keep HomeBrew. It is what drives forward the market, spurs the masses on we live on the edge and are a huge market force. Your continual battle against us only spurs on to beat the big corporate bully. Stop changing the Rules Sony!!!

That said this is one of the best pieces of work to come out in the last 3 months keep up the good work mate.

Currently port forwarding is not working on my end, but the server works on local. I've removed the download link. Thanks for checking it out

cmon man i wana bea it can u please put link back or can some 1 please post the link or tyhe attacthment

There is nothing to see right now, bar an empty map screen. You're not missing anything, I can assure you

The routing is fixed, here is the demo again. I'm heading out to the pub now for a well deserved pint, I'll get the movement sorted later tonight

Just a quick heads up, movement in the universe is now sorted, and I also have a slot in the code reserved for object generation, which I will get around to doing later. The idea behind the generation will be similar to drop tables in MMORPGs, as in every time new space is explored, the server will loop through the new hex tiles, and perform counts on objects in the universe(for planets/suns) or in the local vicinity(asteroid belts, NPC spawns, etc) and spawn at the correct rate, based on the psysical width of the area in effect(i.e. so many hex tiles for a solar systems influence, new planet generation etc).

Most of the past couple of days has been spent tweaking and cleaning up the client/server code, aswell as upping the framerate of the client considerably. I will not be posting any dev copys every step of the way, but when I feel I've reached a substantial milestone, test copies will be released(after EriCKy tests them, of course :P).

The fix with the framerate was also directly linked to the slow response time of the PSPs control pad(had a recieve timeout on the socket I was using), so the exit callback will work fine now(L shoulder button).

Rendering and movement code has been cleaned up, the player now actually has a ship, and the display of other clients on the server should be done momentarily. Next on the list is re-making the map update network code, as currently it just sends the updated mapset as a whole, instead of the faster and more bandwidth efficient method of only sending the updated hex tiles.

By the way, anyone who has got the demo eboot I released last night, it will not work on this version of the server, as I have made significant changes to the net code. Sorry

Awesome work man. Keep going, you got people waiting for this. A free MMORPG for the PSP, rudimentary or not, would be revolutionary on a handheld.

The display of other players on the server is now just about sorted, bar a minor offset update that I need to throw into the movement function which I'll do tommorow. Next is optimising the net code some more, to get more bang-per-buck bandwidth wise. At the moment the server is spewing out unnecessarily large map update packets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information