Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me how you would describe

Dream Coder

Default Tell me how you would describe

a 1D videogame. I'm looking for how people might describe one, alternatively if you simply think such a thing can't exist tell me that, or give an example of what you might consider a 1D game.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

I don't think it could be possible. I'd think you need to move in at least two dimensions to play a game.

DCEmu Old Pro

Yep it is possible, some of the old Tiger LCD games where 1D games. You can also play 1D tetris here.

Nah, it's only going in one direction, but the 1D section is composed of 2-dimensional squares?

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    Nah, it's only going in one direction, but the 1D section is composed of 2-dimensional squares?
    Since the second dimension isn't variable the game is based entirely in one dimension. The width of the squares only exists to allow us to view them.

This is certainly one dimensional, but not a game.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Do you mean 1d gameplay, graphics or both? Graphically 1d would be a single pixel line going of either left to right or up to down. I suppose you could have breaks in the line but thats about it. Im not sure what sort of game would be in that.

1d gameplay is something we've all seen. Space invaders would be 1d gameplay in my book.

EDIT: On second thought wouldnt 1d graphics be impossible? A line going right to left would have one dimension going right to left but wouldnt any width be considered an up to down, vertical dimension? Arent at least 2 dimensions necessary to be visible?
    Last edited by ICE; September 22nd, 2008 at 02:56.

DCEmu Old Pro

Here is another game with 1D game play.

http://unfaegne.eorl.googlepages.com/1d.htm

Early one on one fighters would be considered 1D before they added sidestepping.
    Last edited by jamotto; September 22nd, 2008 at 03:46.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Do you mean 1d gameplay, graphics or both? Graphically 1d would be a single pixel line going of either left to right or up to down. I suppose you could have breaks in the line but thats about it. Im not sure what sort of game would be in that.

1d gameplay is something we've all seen. Space invaders would be 1d gameplay in my book.
    In space invaders your control is one deimensional, but the game is not, the invaders go left and right then down. You have to take all of their movement into account.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    In space invaders your control is one deimensional, but the game is not, the invaders go left and right then down. You have to take all of their movement into account.
    Yeah, space invaders was a bad example. You know what I was getting at though.

1D game could be plausible but least entertaining.

On a side note I was watching the science channel and a physicist was explaining that we humans have a fourth dimension but don't have free access to it. He easily explained our dimensions using videogames which was pretty cool and the future of gaming is looking incredible, they have created real life pacman with use of fancy helmets and a gps system. Just looks like tag though lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information