Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSi software will be region-locked, confirms Nintendo

NDS DSi software will be region-locked, confirms Nintendo

via Games Industry

Nintendo has confirmed that software specifically created for the DSi will be region-locked, with European, North American and Japanese software only working on consoles designed for their specific regions.

Previous DS and GameBoy hardware has been region-free, allowing users to purchase US or Japanese software and play it on a European handheld.

Nintendo told our sister site Eurogamer.net this afternoon that the DSi is region locked "because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region".

The company added: "Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit made by different independent bodies."

This only applies to software that is compatible exclusively with the DSi - existing DS software remains region-free. Internet browsing and photo sharing also works globally.

It's worth noting that Nintendo's statement refers to "software" rather than "games". GamesIndustry.biz is seeking further clarification from Nintendo.

A lucrative retail market currently exists catering to early adopters and consumers keen to import Japanese and US titles often released far earlier in those regions than in Europe.
    Last edited by Shrygue; October 6th, 2008 at 18:14.

DCEmu Regular

Die, Nintendo, Diiiiieeee!!!!

im keepin mi old ds.

have had my V.0001 DS Phat since the release date in 04 and with every bit of news that comes out about the DSi im glad i kept it, because this new ds as nice as the new features seem to be just gets more and more disapointing. Lets just hope sony doesnt folow in suit and make a lousy PSP2 when n if one comes out ;p

What kind of bull $#@! is that? They didn't anger people enough when they got rid of the GBA slot? Besides, they said software, which I expect them put on SD cards, not DS cartridges.
    Last edited by gutbub; October 6th, 2008 at 23:56.

DCEmu Newbie

A real shame. I'm in the UK & in the past I've bought imported US games. It's nice to be able to buy them when they're released in the States rather than waiting months for them to arrive in Europe. I won't be able to do this with the DSi & any new cards for it by the way this sounds. What's the alternative? Piracy I suppose. This thing will be cracked & region free before we know it. Nintendo won't know what hit them! It will be their own fault. They made the bed. They'll have to sleep in it.

Yeah, that's the straw that broke me back. C'mon Ninty, what the hell?

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Region locking on a portable console? They may as well loose money from Australians buying American software when they visit.

wait, so there WILL be dsi exclusive software?

so much for the dsi and the ds lite coexisting peacfully...

DCEmu Rookie

I'm thinking this is referring to downloadable DSWare titles, which makes sense since the stores are likely set up in the same way as the Wii stores. And in any case, you know that some homebrewer is going to find a region free hack within a few months of release. Gotta love homebrew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information