Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DaedalusX64 - New N64 Emulator for PSP Announcement

about time someone else took it the lead in this project

Default !

I hope this new dev makes some serious progress. I highly doubt this will get far, after all there is only one StrmnNrmn

"PSP is still a much better platform to emulate N64 on :P"

with one lousy working analogue stick, a much smaller resolution and a top cpu speed of 333 I'd have to disagree with you there.

i love psp, but lets face it, there isn't much competition between this and Pandora.
    plus my psp is getting worn out for one, the umd won't stop making buzzing noises without a umd.
    Last edited by dark heart; October 15th, 2008 at 07:54.

OH YES!! i was waiting for a new daedalus release glad someone is making a new one and yes graphical improvements are very good but we also need compatibility for more games.
    And of course speed improvements i like to play mario at 100% instead of 80%.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Ram isn't going to improve any N64 emulator, N64's only have 4MB of ram.. Shouldn't take anymore than 8MB to emulate.

PSP is still a much better platform to emulate N64 on :P

wally
    You can also have another 4 MB on the Expansion Pack. But that 8 MB is nothing compared to the ROMs - you forget that N64 ROMs go up to 32 MB.

8 MB of system RAM, 32 MB of ROM, and whatever you use for recompiled code for the CPU means you're pushing what's available on a Slim. The Phat gets around the ROM size by using a function to fetch/store memory which determines if the page of the ROM being fetched from is in memory, and loading off the memstick if not. Not all the ROM is in memory at once, which slows things down. There's no way around that on the Phat, unless you want to restrict people from using 32 MB ROMs.

Add to that a texture cache for improved video and you can see that doing N64 on the PSP is pushing it to the limit.

If you didn't mind come by strmnnrmn.com and give our coders some of you ideas if any or any advice or anything would be appreciated.

Not to burst a bubble....

I am curious to know how he plans on porting the 2007 version of zilmar's graphics plugin when it is closed source.....

Porting something (and optimizing for psp) like GLN64 or Rice would be a actual possibility since they are open source...
    My Business (Games, Apps & More):

Gremlin Interactive

I believe he got permission from Zilmar.

Blog Entries

is virtual memory like what they did in the xbox scene iirc possible on the PSP ?

surely that would solve the memory problems if it could be accessed fast enough etc ?

DCEmu Coder

PSP can't do transparent virtual memory in the same way an XBox can because there's no MMU. But an emulator w/o an MMU has to emulate every memory access in software anyway, so performing page swapping non-transparently doesn't really add overhead over what real virtual memory would give. It's actually probably faster (if memory emulation is done right). gpSP does it this way.

JLF65 seems to know what's going down, maybe he should work on this stuff :B
    http://gpsp-dev.blogspot.com/

I haven't quit gpSP, just put it on hiatus for a while.

Games like Super Mario Advance 3, Riviera and Sword of Mana actually DO work in gpSP, believe it or not. If they don't work for you then you're using the faulty BIOS. Don't argue with me, it's true; the sooner you accept this the sooner you can move on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information