Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Iris

PSP Coder

Default Introducing Iris

Well it's time to give you all an update & introduction to the project me, MGfox & Produkt have been cooking up recently (sorry if this anouncement is somewhat incohearent, i'm lacking on sleep atm).

So today I introduce to you Iris. Iris is a game built off the bsp rendering engine I have been working on for the past few months. The game is ment to be a simple yet fun 3rd person Deathmatch game for the psp. Old Quake mappers will have the additional fun of making their own maps & characters to use in the game. The maps are based on quake 3 bsp format & the character are based on quake 2 MD2 model format.

Insted of giving you guys some unoptimised quake 3 maps. MGFox & Produkt have steped up and created 3 wonderful maps that will be included in the release as well as the posibility of 2 more maps (if time permits).

Sadly due to time limits, our dcemu compo entry might more be an alpha then a real release (too much to do) but we plan to get a second build out asap to add what we want.

With out further delay, time to check out the screen shots !!

Cooo0000oooo000ooo0-000ooo0000oo000lllllllllll!!!!!!!! WoW Awesome!!! Amazing!!! CANT WAIT!!!!! Just A Few Words That Come To Mind When I Look At The Screen Shots....

DCEmu Newbie

Wow!!! it looks awesome, it almost reminds me of the first person shooter game called XIII.

DCEmu Regular

can we replace the ugly green head with our own mug shots?

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by urherenow
    can we replace the ugly green head with our own mug shots?
    I like the alien

Anyways yes you can use what ever quake 2 md2 model you wish. you can even modify the texture to your liking.

DCEmu Newbie

Must say great work one of the best looking homebrew projects for the psp yet can't wait to give it a go.

Just wondering man (not criticizing) why are the framerates at 30fps now? I thought you had them at 60fps. I mean 30fps is great just wondering what made them drop.

PSP Coder

Actualy atm, map 1 & 3 run at a solid 60fps. Map 2 hickups at times to 30.

The pictures are from map 3. The reason the framerate is bad is a light was accidently placed outside the map so when it was compiled a Visability set was not generated. So pretty much the engine is force to draw all surfaces vs only drawing whats visable.

Map 2 dies because to keep from having serious surface clipping issues for the first build, we created the map with many little square blocks and since the room is pretty much a single room. so a majority of the map is drawn every frame (if you saw it in wireframe you would understand).

Tho not to worrie. Once I get time this month, I will implement a method to clip polygons to the screen so there wont be any problems (not the need to draw maps with many little polygons).

Wich means, Larger maps, better framerates, And a spoon full of goodness.

The maps that have proper lighting look great though I must say
    PSP Q3BSP Projekt: Here
    Iris Wiki Database: here
    Iris Game Info: Here
    Iris Addons: Here
    PSP File Shack: Here

DCEmu Regular

That is SO cool! My buddy from U4E has been looking over LUA to make this RPG we have planned, but maybe we can skip the 2D and go right to the 3D goodness!

So how mod-able is it? Is there anyway to save data? We're thinking about an overhead game, kinda like a poor man's Untold Legends, but with a Sci-Fi theme. Saving game progress would be super-important. Also, can the camera be adjusted? The overhead view should cut down on the number of polygons, allowing for some packed monster battles.

I wonder if there's tools to convert 3D Studio models directly to BSP? I could build a super-clean, low-polygon level in 3D Studio much easier then in any level or map editor. Looks like it's time for so more research!

very very nice, cant wait to play "Iris". Thx for all your hard work guys and gl =D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information