Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are CFW users a threat to Sony? I think not.

Blog Entries

psp Are CFW users a threat to Sony? I think not.

An article from Alek

Having in mind all the statistics from the latest M33 releases, we can get to some conclusions.

Adding downloads from Dark-AleX.org and the ones from the Network Update, here are the numbers from this last days;

-17 oct 29.838
    -18 oct 32.996
    -19 oct 2.472 (in 3H)

(unique psp's using this in 2 days, 3 hours) Maximum value calculated lately from the other releases was about 150k PSP's.

So, having in mind that there are how much? 38.96M PSP's on the World (http://vgchartz.com/), so there are only a 0,39% of the total ones using the Network Update; we can conclude that...

... not more than an 8% of total World PSP's are with a CFW. (based on that statistics, tbh is a huge estimation, it should go about a 5% atm)

So, is it a threat? No. Developers and Sony should not focus their attention/excuses on something so "small", but on more Games&&Addons for PSP, instead of making look guilty free devs like Dark_AleX.

Now this doesnt take into account sites such as PSP News/DCEmu (here of course), QJ, PSP Hacks and the many other sites who mirror the file but even so i doubt even 5% of the worlds PSP Owners have tried Homebrew or custom firmware.

Give us your Comments on this subject, Are Custom Firmwares really such a Threat to Sony ?

That's quite surprising.

I'm a CF user, and I can tell you that the average PSP user are Official Firmware users.

Its all hype,Theres loads of kids(and adults) out there who have original fw and originals games.Just look at NDS with the cart 1 cards(like N5 and Touch cart) with loads of roms on them and Nintendo are booming!I don`t think CFW are a threat to $ony!!

It must be a significant enough number of CFW PSP's to make Sony concerned enough to release wave after wave of Firmware Updates and motherboard revisions...

That really is surprising.
    Sony's making way to big of a deal about it if it's such a small group.

Well I 'm also a CF user and tbh not many people I see or have met in the past have custom firmware psp's, I usually introduce theme to the world of this homebrew scene.

Quote Originally Posted by dejkirkby View Post
    It must be a significant enough number of CFW PSP's to make Sony concerned enough to release wave after wave of Firmware Updates and motherboard revisions...

And it hasn't stopped us yet

(DAX is looking closely at the PSP 3000 right now )

CFW users are far from a threat. where i live which can be ranged in a full district called the Avalon peninsula of Newfoundland Canada, I am one of the probably 2 other people out there that have custom firmware. But besides that point i have put CFW and homebrew on about 20 PSP's for people who are to lazy to use Google and follow instructions lol.

I think the reason that Sony cares about CFW is that most of the CFW users are "core gamers." I doubt anyone who only buys sports games and then 1 or 2 mainstream games is going to be concerned with CFW. The core gamers are the ones that buy games, and CFW is alot more appealing to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information