Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are CFW users a threat to Sony? I think not.

DCEmu Legend

Its also worth pointing out that Dark_AleX seems to respect SONY and their firmware. He goes above and beyond to make CFW seem like the firmware that the PSP should have. From using SONY's installer and keeping pretty much everything SONY has included in the firmware is what I enjoy most about CFW. Its not radically different and doesn't alter the PSP experience. It just enhances it.

And it is also my observation that most people are in the dark or are not motivated enough to explore the PSP's homebrew capabilities.

I have been the one to introduce people to what the PSP is REALLY capable of.

DCEmu Old Pro

Not everyone updates to the newest greatest CFW, so the numbers could be much higher.

Now how Sony will manipulate the numbers.
    If you take that 5% figure which is 1,948,000 psp's. Now you multiple by the attach rate which at its worst was 2 to 1, so 3,896,000 in lost software sales. Now multiply that by the price of said games, which we will assume is $30 and you get around 116.8 Million dollars in lost software sales. Now that sound you hear is Sony freaking out!

DCEmu Newbie

I agree with jamotto. Lots of people didn't update because 1.50 and Popsloader weren't out yet and their favorite theme might be for 4.01 M33 only etc.

I don't know anyone who gets the download from the official site, or who always gets the latest update

Quote Originally Posted by jamotto View Post
    Not everyone updates to the newest greatest CFW, so the numbers could be much higher.
    this is totally correct

i for one usually lag a few versions behind

im still on 3.80 m33

why, why not? ive not had a reason to upgrade, and i find the process to be a chore (since my wifi switch is broke, and hell i dont have a 802.11 router)

i will eventually get 5.0 m33, but i always wait a few weeks for all the fluff to die down, bugs squashed, and see if sony wants to add a version 5.1

and the only reason i will, is because theres some games coming out that will want version 5.0+, if there were not, i wouldn't

It's not based on numbers, it's based on the opinion of those numbers.

Devs release few games for the PSP because of the fear that they will be pirated by CFW users. If the user basis for hacked firmwares was 0.5%, they still might consider this number too high to be profitable.

Even though it's just the devs' opinions, Sony still loses out... So yes, they are a threat. Not because they mean/cause direct harm, but because game companies think they do.

Im custom firmware user too. I dont not afraid any threat that Sony give me. If, they did threaten me. Im not buying any Sony products, even I died.

DCEmu Newbie

The only reason i have custom firmware is so i can use MY OWN PSX games on the psp. I think its crazy you have to buy the games again to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by DimensionT View Post
    It's not based on numbers, it's based on the opinion of those numbers.

Devs release few games for the PSP because of the fear that they will be pirated by CFW users. If the user basis for hacked firmwares was 0.5%, they still might consider this number too high to be profitable.

Even though it's just the devs' opinions, Sony still loses out... So yes, they are a threat. Not because they mean/cause direct harm, but because game companies think they do.
    Exactly what I was thinking The only problem Sony has with CFW is the piracy side. Personnally, if this particular aspect of CFW were removed I believe Sony wouldn't fret so much.

Peace

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by osgeld View Post
    im still on 3.80 m33
    Same here, I don't update very frequently - the only reason I'm past 3.40 is that I needed a newer version to play Wipeout Pulse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information