Thread: More Dreamcast games on PSP?

psp More Dreamcast games on PSP?

I'd love to see some more DC games ported to the PSP. The ones I want ported are:

Sonic Adventure 2 (I liked SA2 more than the first)
    Jet Grind Radio
    Soul Caliber
    Shenmue
    Space Channel 5 (I'm not joking XD)
    Skies of Arcadia (I want to get this game soon, but I'd still kill to have it ported to PSP)
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2

So how exactly would you be able to port them to PSP, or can someone who's good at porting games do it for me? Thanks.

You'd have to contact the original companies that wrote those games to do so.

Noone else has the right to port them to the PSP, and to do so would involve re-writing the games from the ground up... Something that I doubt ANY Homebrew crew would have the manpower to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
    You'd have to contact the original companies that wrote those games to do so.

Noone else has the right to port them to the PSP, and to do so would involve re-writing the games from the ground up... Something that I doubt ANY Homebrew crew would have the manpower to do.
    Thanks. I'm thinking about sending Sega an e-mail to port these games to the PSP. (Sega didn't make MvC2 or Soul Caliber though so I'll have to e-mail Capcom or Namco to see if they'll do those too)

yeah to want to see shenmue port to the psp and i have started petition that i am going to send to sega of japan after we get enough signatures here http://www.petitiononline.com/SHEN2PSP/petition.html but i'm still not sure if it is even possible for it to be ported to psp because the original was on the dreamcast which had 8 MB of VRAM and the ability to use VQ Texture compression which supposedly could compress textures to 8:1 where as the the psp only has 2 MB of vram and also has S3TC Texture compression which also has a compression ratio of 8:1

DCEmu Coder

While the DC had more vram, it needed it for the larger display (TV out). On PSPs with TV out (the Slim), you also have 4 MB of vram. The PSP is also capable of using system ram in place of vram for most video needs (display lists, textures, yada yada), so it doesn't need as much vram as you'd think.

The PSP uses DXT1, DXT3, and DXT5 compression, not S3TC. DXT1 gives 8:1 compression and is good for textures without an alpha channel. If you need alpha, DXT3 and DXT5 give you alpha, but only have a 4:1 compression ratio. I put a demo for texture compression on the fly up on ps2dev a few weeks back (although I doubt any reputable game dev would need demos from ps2dev ).

Thread Information