Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 Reasons why the DSi is screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    Game Boy: Clunky ; Game Boy Pocket: Good ; Game Boy Color: Unnecessary.
    After that I stopped reading. Obviously a rant for page hits and not real commentary.

The original gameboy and the format it set in place 'won' the market against the gamegear, lynx (huge and really big versions) and even the Nomad (portable megadrive).

The GB pocket was pretty useless apart from being smaller (possible easily because how long the format had survived). Then there was the GB pocket color, which sounded like it had a colour display but was just the old one sold in different colour shells.

The Gameboy color was never a huge hit, but It was fully backwards compatible and had pretty decent graphics for its insanely limited hardware.
    The reflective rather than back lit screen meant games looked their best when played outside or in sunlight, which was great when I was in school.

I stand by TetrisDX as being the best tetris version and therefore the best portable game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryn View Post
    But yeah, despite this the DSi had a pretty weak launch with no real selling points fopr the average gamer. Nintendo has a lot of work ahead of them if they intend to make the DSi a success...
    It sold out in Japan....sounds like a success at the get go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryn View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, the DSi may have firmware updates, which means that Nintendo can add new features later on.
    Chances are the updates will be used to destroy homebrew and piracy as they are doing on the Wii, so any holes found will just be sealed after homebrew starts rolling. Nintendo just keeps making me want to hate them.

wow ***s

DCEmu Newbie

Let's analyze!
    Nintendo handhelds do follow a clear pattern: the first sets the standard, the second improves upon this standard, and the third improves even more by adding features and/or changing form factor.
    The Game Boy Color was very well received.
    The Game Boy Micro is currently the only example of an "unnecessary" system, and even then, it improved on the original formula.
    The DSi has been very well received in Japan.
    Reasons:
    11) Power cord. Fair enough.
    10) Mic morph. Not exactly a gamer feature, dude.
    9) Camera morph. See 10.
    8) Camera everything else. See 9.
    8A) Game Consoles, not Media Devices. Fair enough.
    8B) Innovation in gameplay is stymied because a similar device has been made. Say what? Hardware =! Games.
    7) Slow Internet. Valid complaint.
    6) Incompatipoints. If they did otherwise, it might make the Nintendo Points system hackable and people would pirate Nintendo on their own stores. Piracy sucks in all forms.
    5) DSiWare Titles. Fair... ish.
    4) DSiWare is region locked. But what about 5... wait... come back... TELL ME! C'mon, they're not making an Ouendan DSiWare (afaik...)
    3) Death of GBA slot. Valid complaint. I'll add that they really didn't have much of a reason to lose this slot: the ARM7 that the GBA uses remains on the DS (it has to, DS games use it)
    2) DSi stops homebrew. Already rectified. Cross THAT off the list.
    1) 1/2 step. At least it's not a step backward. Give 'em props for trying.

My personal opinion: The DSi is not going to make me buy it. I have a Phat and I just bought a Lite, even after hearing about the DSi. The features are more casual. Gamers won't buy it, but gamers weren't exactly the only audience for the DS anyhow.
    Last edited by ethd; January 19th, 2009 at 04:57. Reason: Grammar, as usual...

I'm sticking with my Lite. None of the "added features" is even worth my hard earned dollars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information