Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 Reasons why the DSi is screwed up.

Blog Entries

NDS 11 Reasons why the DSi is screwed up.

Why 11, because I like to go one step beyond (and copy people).

Nintendo has a very clear pattern with it’s handhelds. It makes three (main) versions of each console before moving on to the next generation. The pattern goes: the first one is clunky with a few problems, the second one fixes those problem, looks nice, and runs well, the third is not well received as people either already have a version of the handheld they like, or are waiting for the next generation.
    Game Boy: Clunky ; Game Boy Pocket: Good ; Game Boy Color: Unnecessary.
    Game Boy Advance: Poorly lit Screen ; Game Boy Advance: SP: Good ; Game Boy Advance: Micro: Unnecessary.

Now we’re on the third iteration of the DS, starting with the Original DS (Phat) which is a great handheld, but big, and clunky. The DS Lite made it sleeker and lighter. Will the DSi break the tradition of the third iteration being unnecessary?

No.

Here’s your top 11 list of why the DSi is an unnecessary step for Nintendo, starting with….

Honorable Mention: Why does a top 11 list need an honorable mention? For now, this one is nothing more than a rumor, but if the rumor is true, it’s a huge mistake from Nintendo.
    Incompatable software. Apparently some developers have been complaining the DSi doesn’t actually work with some original DS games. And I’m not talking about weird games that need the GBA slot or something, I’m talking about simple compatibility issues. Still, it’s possible that the devs just got an early, incomplete model, and there have been no reports of incompatible software from those who have gotten a DSi in Japan, so this may not be an issue.

11. Yet another Power Cord

Seriously guys, do you have to have a new plug and power cord for every single model of the DS? Keep in mind if you’re a Guitar Hero: On Tour fan, you’re going to have to port around the the DS Phat or DS Lite and your DSi, along with both power cords. Seriously Nintendo, keep it simple.

10. Microphone Morph is a stupid idea.
    Oh look, you can record your voice with the microphone and play it back, while morphing it in real time. That will be fun for about… 15 seconds. After that, you’ll realize that this is nothing more than a crappy version of Talkboy, not a feature to be shown off.

When you can compare a gaming console feature to a Home Alone 2 prop, you know something has gone terribly wrong.

9. Camera Morph is a stupid idea.

Buahahaha, look at the silly face…… okay seriously, this is another feature that will last maybe 2 seconds before you just go straight to playing games. You may be able to morph photos and even morph them in real time, but seriously, this is just a distraction. Nintendo is putting a lot of effort to distract us from playing games on this console.

8. The camera quality is crap.

Why do I have two points for how stupid the cameras on the DSi are? Because it has TWO cameras, for twice the stupid. No matter what camera you take pictures from the quality is absolutely poor, and only gets worse when you transfer images to the PC. Oh, and by the way, you can’t transfer images from your PC back onto the DSi. So in case you thought you could use the DSi as your personal portable photo gallery, too bad.
    Some have defended Nintendo for putting two cameras on there because: A. Every electronic device has a camera on it these days, B. Nintendo can make some unique games with the camera and put your head in there.
    Well A. Since when does Nintendo need to do what every other company does. They’ve always tried to shown innovation, and frankly, if every device has a camera, then I guess the DSi doesn’t need one. Nintendo has always pushed the line that they make gaming consoles, not multi-media devices (at least that’s their defense for no DVD player in the Wii), so why have they suddenly switched over?
    For Part B, Nintendo won’t be able to make many unique games because Sony has already done this with the Eye Toy. The most Nintendo can do is put your face on a Mii, and maybe detect if you’re there. It certainly will never reach the quality or precision of the Eye Toy, so why try?

7. Slow, clunky internet, and a slow store.

When Nintendo revealed the DSi, it was first thought they were going to try to somewhat compete with the iPhone. Frankly, the speeds on their Opera Browser definitively prove they aren’t even trying. Even if you surf their DSi Shop, it will take you 30 seconds to get in, with 5-10 second waits between every tap. Surfing the web becomes even more of a chore, with each page taking a minute or so to load. You can’t even scroll at any reasonable speed without the DSi being forced to try to load and catch up. I certainly hope no one was planning to use the DSi to check their mail, because the crappy browser can’t handle sites like GMail or Hotmail. Even something like viewing videos on the go is out of the question because it can’t handle sites like YouTube. All of this firmly leaves the DSi browser as a big fat WHY. Why even bother to include an internet browser if it can’t even function on a basic level.

6. Nintendo Points, Wii Points, and DS Points

As it stands, Wii Points are annoying enough. if you can’t get your credit card to work in the store (I never have), you have to go out, buy points $20 at a time, spend them on the games you want, but you’ll never get all of your money back, there will always be a few 100 points left a side because you can’t spend them all. Well now with DSi Ware, the points have changed to Nintendo Points. For a moment, fans of downloadable games cheered, foolishly thinking Nintendo would unite DS points and Wii points, allowing you to spend your money anywhere.
    But no, instead, you buy Nintendo Points, and then redeem them as Wii points or DS points. Once they are separated, the can never be combined. if you want to buy some DSi Ware, but all of your points are on your Wii, too bad. Once again Nintendo can’t provide a simple and straight forward way to BUY THEIR GAMES. Oh yeah, and make sure you don’t lose your DSi, otherwise you’ll lose all your points and the games you downloaded. Wouldn’t that be a shame.

5. The options for DSi Ware are weak.

What launched with WiiWare? Dr. Mario Online Rx. It was a brilliant game to launch with, reviving classic gameplay with online modes and letting users send demos to friends, to get them to buy in too.
    So what exciting games are launching on DSi Ware!?

Umm… Art House games?

Train Schedules?

Oh look, Wario Ware! That’s exciting…. except, this isn’t a new Wario Ware game. They just took the old microgames and let you play them for infinity. Oh boy, kinda like you can ALREADY DO if you unlock them in the game. Seriously, this goes beyond the standard Nintendo policy of rereleasing games and charging you for them all over again. This is only releasing part of a game to make a little money off of you at a time.

The biggest selling point for the DSi Ware has been the Wario Ware game where you can make custom games. However, Nintendo has been vague on the details. They say you can share the games with your friends, but can you share them over WiFi? If not, it’s a huge disappointment in my book, a potential bombshell that just fizzled out. It’s not like any of this matters since:

4. DSi ware is region locked

Nintendo explains to Eurogamer that software developed specifically for the freshly-announced DSi will be region-locked, meaning the handheld will only be compatible with DSi software released for its intended territory. This confirms that DSWare downloaded from the DSi Shop will only work for compatible DSi hardware, which is really no suprise given that online games are often localized for different countries
    So for any of you planning to import this little baby now because it can play English DS games, stop right now. If you import the DSi, you will never be able to play anything or do anything involving DSi Ware and the DSi Shop (unless you’re willing to fly over to Japan to download it). This wouldn’t be as infuriating if Nintendo hadn’t already announced that they wouldn’t release the DSi in America till Fall of 2009 because of the strong sales of the DS Lite. So any of those who were excited may as well calm down. You’ll either import early and screw yourself out of DSi Ware, or have to sit on your hands for almost a year before you get it.

3. The death of the GBA slot.

Alas, GBA slot, I knew thee well. When the DS first released, though were the only reason the system stayed alive. You nurtured the DS sales along, until the DS Library could get upon it’s feet and walk for itself. Nay, not only did thou make the DS all the more suitable as the ultimate handheld, allowing gamers to bring a long a classic GBA game along with a DS game, but thou were also necessary for on of the latest games, the Guitar Hero: On Tour series with Guitar Grip.

Okay, enough of that. Some may defend the loss of the GBA slot as a necessary evolution as the DS becomes it’s own console, but I simply disagree. I feel as though gamers have been forced to trade a valuable slot that brought a whole lot of variety for the DS just for a camera. Some might say that it had to go to put all the new technology in there, but that’s a lie. In fact, the only reason the GBA slot was dropped was in order to make the DSi smaller. Not worth it if you asked me.
    So those of you who bought Guitar Hero: On Tour, stick with the DS Lite.
    Those Pokemon players who want to transfer Pokemon from the GBA games to the DS games, stick with the DS Lite.
    Those who will get the Motion Pack for Tony Hawk Motion better stick with the DS Lite.
    And numerous games that used the rumble pack will have to say goodbye as well.

Was it really worth losing all of this for size?

2. DSi to stop Flash Cards, Homebrew

The homebrewers who have gotten their hands on the DSi have found that none of the techniques they have in their arsenal can get past the DSi’s defenses against homebrewing. What may be a victory for Nintendo will probably also cause a drop in sales. Let’s face it, if you make a portable device, it will get hacked. The catch is, the homebrew community usually ends up creating a strange extra market, that gives people even more incentive to buy the console in the first place. When will Nintendo realize that these homebrewers are actually helping to push their product, and even if they magically stopped them, they would just download and play the games some other way.

So does Nintendo think they somehow magically stopped the homebrewers now? They shouldn’t. There are two ways this can go:
    1. The homebrewers once again figure a way to hack into the DS, but this t ime they have the advantage of having SD cards to work from.
    2. The homebrewers simply DON’T BUY A DSi!

Seriously Nintendo, all you have done is pissed off the core gamer again, and reduced the appeal of the next DS (which with this growing list, wasn’t hard). Nintendo needs to realize that as long as they refuse to acknowledge the homebrew crowd, they’ll always find a way to worm into their consoles.

And the number one reason why the DSi is a miscalculation by Nintendo is….

1. Nintendo took one giant HALF step

Nintendo saw the success of the DS Lite, but had a problem. On one side, the Apple iPhone was cutting into their tech geek dollars and even competing with them in touch based games. On the other side, the DS was reach a saturation point where even with their new, expanded crows, everyone who was going to buy a DS had already bought one.
    Nintendo attempted to appeal to both sides, and failed miserably with the DSi.
    One the first hand of the equation, the “new” features of the DSi feel awfully old. Adding two cameras may add some gameplay opportunities, but it’s just a gimmick, one quickly recognized by the average gamer. Beyond that, with every tech device under the sun already having a camera, it seems almost quaint that Nintendo would add one. As I said before, Nintendo was supposed to be the company focused soley on gaming, so this reach felt fake, against their original appeal. On the other side of the equation, nothing on the DSi is appealing enough to make casual gamers who already own a DS go out and get one. Yes, they’ll miss out on the DSi Ware, but frankly, it’s not missing much.
    Despite the fact that system has already launched in Japan, Nintendo has left some questions about DSi Ware unanswered. For instance, the biggest question I have, will these games survive to the next handheld? We don’t really know. Based on Nintendo’s previous patterns, the next handheld is just two years away, maybe less. Will that next one have a touch screen and a microphone and two screens and two cameras as well? If it doesn’t, then I suppose your DSi Ware games just won’t be able to move over. Will Nintendo even support moving the games over? Are any other games coming down the pipe? The announcement and release of the DSi came so fast, I’ve heard little of any other developer looking to support DSi Ware. Obviously part of the hesitation is that the DSi isn’t in the U.S. yet and won’t be for 9 months. So will there be good DSi ready by that time? Can we transfer the DSi Ware games to the Wii to play on the big screen?

My apologies if this last point has degraded into nothing more than a rant, but it seriously feels that Nintendo has blind sided us, trying to promise a new console (once again calling it a third pillar, as they once called the DS before it killed the GBA) that barely improves on the old. It feels as though Nintendo is afraid to make the next leap into a new generation of handhelds, and the results could be disastorus.

Perhaps some of my questions will be answered by the time the DSi comes to Amercia (we certainly have the time to wait and see). Until then, don’t get excited, certainly don’t import it. Nintendo has a lot still to prove with the DSi.

http://www.wififrontier.com/blog/?p=130

Casual gamers and girls will buy the DSi,but hardcore emulator,poor gamers and pirate roms fans wont.Until they crack it of course.Come on guys,thats the point,it doesnt accept flashcards,so it doesnt play our rom collection,thats why we dont like it,dont hide behind our fingers,we love piracy and emulators,and not guitar heroes,rumbling,internet functions and other $#@!.Thats the reason xbox360 outsold ps3,it has piracy.And as for gameboy advance,Micro was better than SP in my opinion,it is a real handheld

Amen

I think the DSi is complete rubbish to be honest.

I'm sticking with my DS Lite. jEnesis DS is far better than anything else on the system. Well. With the exception of Phoenix Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by kojiro7 View Post
    Casual gamers and girls will buy the DSi,but hardcore emulator,poor gamers and pirate roms fans wont.Until they crack it of course.Come on guys,thats the point,it doesnt accept flashcards,so it doesnt play our rom collection,thats why we dont like it,dont hide behind our fingers,we love piracy and emulators,and not guitar heroes,rumbling,internet functions and other $#@!.Thats the reason xbox360 outsold ps3,it has piracy.And as for gameboy advance,Micro was better than SP in my opinion,it is a real handheld
    I just wanted to comment on that part. Apparently the 360 has a much higher attach rate of any console, so how does that figure into the 'people get the 360 to pirate games' idea?

As for the DSi and flashcards. It's only a matter of time IMO.
    Last edited by Spidery_Yoda; November 4th, 2008 at 23:25.

DCEmu Newbie

I can agree that the game micro was Unnecessary, (even though still cool because of it size and face plates).

But the game boy color was more than just another version of the game boy, It ran games 15% faster than the original game boy (yes you can tell the difference) had more ram to run more sprites and of course it was color for crying out loud.

But you know looking it from this person's side, I guess having 52 colors and extra processing power was not that big of a deal, I guess 4 shades of color was just enough and the game boy color was"Unnecessary", LOL

Anyway I just to point out the game boy color was an excellent portable. period.

Dsi will be Dsi, Homebrew will be freakin sweet. Period.

Agreed, but honestly this sounds like something from AVGN. xD

Those points are weak.
    You have to realize where Nintendo is located. In Japan they are all about their pictures and small applications.
    Casual gamers will find this fun and entertaining while avid gamers will think it is a waste of time.

To be honest, Nintendo will make money off of this one, maybe not as much as the Lite, but I am sure they will rake in the money.

I agree with the half-step, but once again, Nintendo made a crap load of money in Japan off of the Micro.

DCEmu Newbie

Yeah, the Japanese eat this stuff up, but segmenting the market with the DS Shop concerns me. With a huge delay between regions and the lockout on the downloadable content, I feel that's going to do some damage. The DSi's appeal to core gamers hangs almost solely on its downloadable content, the rest is a joke (AAC only? Seriously, what are they thinking?). The long delay between regions is going to create quite a rift to any gamers equipped with the internet, who knows all that they're missing, and frustration such as that will lead to indifference, further encouraging them to ignore the more expensive power-sucking replacement.

Nobody thought much of the DS's library when it first launched, so I am by no means passing final judgment. But I am not impressed by the DSi. It shuts down at tremendous back catalogue and all new the functionality is completely half-assed.

Like what, three of those points can be called legit?

And the GameBoy Color? That I find it a LOT more common to see someone with a GBC rather than the original GameBoy or GameBoy Pocket.

10 & 9:

Those are little built-in features. You can play around with them or ignore them. Same way the Wii has a Photo Channel and you can make a picture black and white. You don't need to, but you can play around if you want.

"8. The camera quality is crap."

Don't use it. Besides, the camera app has some pretty cool features and if photos look like crap on computer, keep it on the DSi. (It has the same quality as most webcams. Most I've seen, at least.)

"7. Slow, clunky internet, and a slow store."

The internet browser isn't supposed to be extensive. Just simple browsing. And surely enough there will be pages formatted to fit and load on the DS well like there are some Wii sites.

"6. Nintendo Points, Wii Points, and DS Points"

Firstly, it's very easy to use a credit card to buy Wii Points. I don't know how the hell you couldn't do that. Second, if you get Nintendo Points, just know what you're going to buy and you won't have the problem where you want DS Points but only have Wii Points.

"5. The options for DSi Ware are weak."

Wait before judging. Something tells me that even if there were some online Dr. Mario game that launched with DSi Ware(and didn't come out on Wiiware) you would still be making some comment about it.

"2. DSi to stop Flash Cards, Homebrew"

Homebrew is one of my favorite parts of the system, but not the reason I bought a DS. And losing what wasn't officially there doesn't make it crap.

"11. Yet another Power Cord"
    "3. The death of the GBA slot."
    "4. DSi ware is region locked"

Only legit points. I'm surprised you didn't put battery life, that would be four. Not that Region Locked is a great point either, since normal DS games aren't, anyway.

It really depends what you're into. If you're into the software coming out on DS, or like the features, get it. Otherwise don't. But to insult the system for stupid reasons- that's just dumb.

For people who don't know about homebrew, the fact that it can play music(even though no .mp3) is a huge thing. Personally, I'm not going to buy the system, unless I get a job and there's some software to give a reason to buy it.

DCEmu Rookie

Don't knock it until you tried it...

Unless I am mistaken, the DSi may have firmware updates, which means that Nintendo can add new features later on. The DSiWare can be expanded to add various applications that give the DSi new capabilities and programs that do various things, and if it is like most portable game systems there is the possibility of adding more accessories. A peripheral for better internet access, anyone? It can happen. And who knows, maybe Nintendo will make a note of our complaints and improve the DSi before it is released in North America.

But yeah, despite this the DSi had a pretty weak launch with no real selling points fopr the average gamer. Nintendo has a lot of work ahead of them if they intend to make the DSi a success...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information