Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best CD-R to use with your Dreamcast?

Dream Coder

For me the only big difference I've ever noticed is if they have any sort of label or not. The worst kind have basically just a thin bit of plastic between the label side and the data layer. The best (standard) kind tend to be the printable ones, as the printing layer they have is fairly thick.

As for brand, that is a tossup.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Newbie

Good point. I've been having about 50% success rate with some Philips brand CD-Rs. I thought they would be pretty good given the brandname, but the label side does seem a little thin. Unless I head out now for the Memorex CD-Rs or if Staples extends the sale, I'm pretty much committed to getting the TDKs.

I always use either TDK, Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, depending on what I can get my hands on.

I prefer to get the printable kind of discs so that you can have all the space you want to write stuff on them (I don't have a disc printer to utilize).

Memorex works the best for homebrew for me

mitsui werent supposed to be the best?

Between Verbatim, Memorex, Imitation, and generic Office Depot CD-r's, I'd have to side with Memorex. My Dreamcast's laser is weak and some of those homebrew cd-r's don't even work anymore.

However, my NesterDC and GenesisPlusDC discs (which are Memorex discs) still work sometimes. :P
    Last edited by Eviltaco64; August 20th, 2009 at 10:46.

DCEmu Coder

I've used both Memorex and Verbatim on my DC, and it likes the Verbatim a smidgen better. Sometimes with the Memorex, there's more seeking going on when the DC validates the disc. It's like it has to retry a few times.

DCEmu Newbie

I use Sony Audio CD-Rs. They are the kind my mom gets me, and they end up working quite well with my Dreamcast.

DCEmu Newbie

The Digimaster cd model "Black 101.17.jump", were the best cd ever, they works great, even on my "almost dead" laser, the only cd that does work on it it's the black Digimaster (and the GDs), but I can't find them anymore, maybe they had discontinued.

Ps.: Sorry for poor English

I only use Sony CD-Rs for Dreamcast hombrew.
    Last edited by BlueCrab; November 24th, 2009 at 12:54. Reason: No need to mention the rest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information