Thread: What Percentage of Some Japanese People Own Blu-ray Playing Devices (Game Machines In

Blog Entries

ps3 What Percentage of Some Japanese People Own Blu-ray Playing Devices (Game Machines In

Remember that format war? Good fun. Blu-ray battling it out with HD DVD. Sony pinning its hopes and dreams for dominance on the PS3, while Microsoft released an HD DVD player for its console.

Now that the dust has settled and the reality has washed over me and you, let's see how this format war has turned out with an totally unscientific poll. In late November, members of the goo Research monitor group were asked about Blu-ray and HD DVD in an online questionnaire. A little over half of those polled were male and ages ranged from teens to over 60 years old. Let's look at the data:

Which of the following movie recording and playback devices do you have? (Sample size = 1,081, multiple answer)

VHS video recorder: 68.0 percent
    DVD player (including games machines): 66.4 percent
    Hard disk and DVD recorder/player: 36.0 percent
    Hard disk only recorder/player: 12.3 percent
    Blu-ray recorder/player (including games machines): 6.3 percent
    HD DVD recorder/player (including games machines): 3.4 percent
    None of the above: 4.4 percent
    Don’t know: 0.8 percent

FASCINATING. Not surprising that DVD playing game machines are so prevalent. We would've thought that Blu-ray would be doing a little better though... But hey, Sony probably thought the same thing. We're not alone.

http://kotaku.com/5117496/what-perce...hines-included

DVD player including games machines. No wonder, a silly amount of people own a DVD player, and a silly amount own a PS2.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Triv1um View Post
    DVD player including games machines. No wonder, a silly amount of people own a DVD player, and a silly amount own a PS2.
    LOL yeah right, whats the world-wide count on PS2 sales? Somewhere in the 170 million range from what I have read.

Question is, being unscientific and all, did these fools asked about DVD players, include the Wii? Yeah the Wii USES DVD discs, but it doesn't play DVD movies...

As well, doesn't this go against the recent poll done by a respective media group that showed that Blu-Ray had recently overtook DVD in japan?

Take online info with a grain of salt, but nonetheless. Considering Japan's advancement with technology, as well as the obvious deduction that said advancement wouldn't be possible without people BUYING these things at every turn, leads me to believe that Blu-Ray has no doubt beaten DVD by now.

Reason being, the Japanese wouldn't squash a computer capable of playing Crysis into a cell phone if there was no need and no buyers for said technology, yet there is and always will be, so its quite reasonable to believe that Japan will no doubt be the first nation within the next few years to have 100% Blu-Ray adoption.

Back to the cell phone, in the US we are JUST NOW getting cell phones that can do all that the Japanese have been doing for damn near the last decade with them. So why would they invent/mass produce products that don't sell?

Sorry Kotaku, I firmly believe Japan's Blu-ray to DVD ratio is much higher than your poll gives it credit. Maybe you should ask those who participated in your poll what their annual salary was, considering 60% still had VHS recorders, leads me to believe that this people probably work on a damn farm earning pennies a day.

DCEmu Coder

Yeah, take a "random" poll in the Ozark region of Arkansas and see what kinds of screwy results you'll get. Firms that do polls usually start by asking the client what kind of result they want, then they pick where (city, rural, college, slum, etc) and when to call (during work hours, around dinner time, etc) in order to hit the target demographic to return the results desired.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

The news story your thinking of F9zDark is Blu-ray disc sales have recently over taken dvd sales in Japan.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69 View Post
    The news story your thinking of F9zDark is Blu-ray disc sales have recently over taken dvd sales in Japan.
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't see why every news site has the doom and gloom story for Blu-Ray vs DVD...

All formats have had their uphill battle with the old formats they were going to replace. Cassettes vs Vinyl, CDs vs Cassettes, DVD vs VHS...

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

To be honest I don't see Blu-ray being successful as the VHS or DVD, but it won't be a flop (like umd, digital cassette, betamax), But I think it will match or even do better than eg Zip disc, mini disc etc

Thread Information