Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Gamers Really Want Gift Cards?

Blog Entries

General games Do Gamers Really Want Gift Cards?

Gamers are sure to find all kinds of gaming goods under the tree this holiday season. But some, however, may only find a bunch of plastic gift cards.

I stumbled across this article the other day about how gift cards can be a thoughtful and acceptable and not just "last minute gift" ideas. This applied specifically to gamers, as the writer claims it can be difficult to shop for someone who wants video games.

"Gamers can be one of the toughest groups of people to buy for; you may not know exactly what types of games a person likes, and if you do know that you might not know what games they already own. It makes it tough to give. If you've been looking for just the perfect gift for a special gamer its time to stop putting it off and just buy a gift card."

As Bill Lumbergh would say, "I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there."

http://kotaku.com/5117612/do-gamers-...ant-gift-cards

Just give cash!

DCEmu Newbie

People that criticise gifts amaze me.. You are getting something for free!!

Anyone that criticises a gift from me will have the gift taken back, and automatically register for a free punch in the nose.

I like gift cards, my aunt gave each me and my brother a $50 gift card to best buy as a gift once, it was perfect, I gave mine to my brother in exchange for his old laptop which gave him $100 off a new laptop (and on tax free weekend no less)

also, I totally agree with the user above, free stuff is always good (unless it's herpies)

i like gift cards

Quote Originally Posted by darkriku2000 View Post
    also, I totally agree with the user above, free stuff is always good (unless it's herpies)
    lol

hey you can't beat free. A gift is a gift.

DCEmu Newbie

I wouldn't criticize a gift card to the person giving it, but I will criticize society for buying into the bull$#@!.

With a gift card, you are taking a universal form of currency (cash) and turning it into a currency that is only valid at one place and is subject to expirations and other restrictions as well as invalid if the store goes out of business. In most cases you are even swapping currency at a 1:1 ratio, and somehow this is considered "thoughtful".

For the past 10 years or so my aunt has bought me a $50 Borders gift card. Borders has nothing even remotely useful and they are located 45 minutes away. Early on I bought movies for double their MSRP, but lately I have been selling the cards for $25-$35. I never told my aunt, but this is exact proof that gift cards are bull$#@!.

Although some people view cash as tacky, I believe it's way better. I don't usually buy games new at stores and if I do it is because that's the only way I can get it. Around where I live, there are flea markets and thrift stores that sell all kinds of games new and old. I received one gift card today from my aunt, but that was okay because I have a big ticket item to buy. The bottom line is that cash is better 99% of the time.

I'll stick with cash please. At least with that you've got more choice on what you want to do with it than using gift cards, plus you'll be able to get change from it after paying for something.

I prefer cash or a check over a gift card. Gift cards limit me to one place, and often expire too. Cash is just easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information