Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiplayer Adhoc Quake

Thumbs up Multiplayer Adhoc Quake

(News by C Swindle)

Hi All

I have been working for a while on getting Quake working in adhoc mode and I have managed to get an initial version working, it is not perfect, but it does work (It is a bit of a hack the way it is currently done, but I have a few things to try out to improve the network play). This was done using Peter Mackay's port as the base code and changing the video functions to use the GU to speed it up a bit to help the network tasks have more time.

I have only tested this using the 2 PSP's so I am not sure how well it will work with more than 2, if you have more than two PSP's to test with then let me know how well it works.

Enjoy

Chris

(Download via comments and please leave feedback)

this is great news!!!!!!!

i have friends who have more than one psp and ill get them to try it out as well.... ill tell you if it works with more than 2 psp's

ill download it as soon as i can we i get on my computer

Your doing great!!!! Keep up the good work...

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon
    404 Error: This signature is missing!

Blog Entries

Wow awesome news for the homebrew scene

Cool! I don't have 2 PSPs or WiFi, so I can't test it out.

Incidentally, what changes did you make to the rendering code to make it faster?

In my work-in-progress version I'm using GU to stretch-blit a 320x200 portion of a texture to the 480x272 screen. It looks ok, and is a lot faster than rendering in 480x272.

It would maybe make sense to consolidate our work and put it in source control or something... what do you think?

Pete
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

Hi Pete, I really just added the screen blitting using the GU, in psp_vid.cpp (fairly much just copied the code that I use in SMSPlus to do it). I also changed the control reading function to be CtrlPeek as that does not block to read and is quicker.

I am not sure that at the moment it would be worth merging the code as it will need to be setup so that wifi only gets activated when you need it and shuts down when not required, otherwise it will lead to a drain on battery power. If I get time to sort out some things to make it a bit cleaner then I will let you know and you can decide if you want to include them or not.

Chris

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice work. Loading it on my PSP as I type this. I'll have to call my pals to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Cool! I don't have 2 PSPs or WiFi, so I can't test it out.
    wifi is internet AdHoc is close together like gba but no cords

DCEmu Newbie

I cant get it to work.
    1.5v psp here.

i Placed Quake & Quake% in psp/game folder. Then got the shareware version and put the idf in the psp/game Quake folder.
    Screen stays dark.

(EDIT) Got it working. all i did was switch on the wifi then it didnt show a black screen when loading.

Just to let everyone know, it looks like I have found a way to reduce the lag from around 1 second (for 8192 bytes) to about 0.06 seconds (in a test program), so hopefully once I integrate that into AdhocQuake it should be a LOT more responsive.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cswindle
    Hi Pete, I really just added the screen blitting using the GU, in psp_vid.cpp (fairly much just copied the code that I use in SMSPlus to do it).
    Is the code available anywhere so I can verify that I'm not doing anything slow in my version?

I also changed the control reading function to be CtrlPeek as that does not block to read and is quicker.
    Oh, I didn't realise that CtrlRead blocks. I changed my code and indeed gained a couple of FPS. I did some searching on the PSPDev forum about sceCtrlPeekBufferPositive, and apparently sceCtrlReadBufferPositive waits for the VBlank.

I am not sure that at the moment it would be worth merging the code as it will need to be setup so that wifi only gets activated when you need it and shuts down when not required, otherwise it will lead to a drain on battery power. If I get time to sort out some things to make it a bit cleaner then I will let you know and you can decide if you want to include them or not.
    I'd be very grateful to have any kind of networking support.

Pete
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information