Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frodo C64 emulator ported to Wii

Well the general rule is to try a cople of different images, I've found that sometimes one of them works while others fail. Frodo will not handle all games, and I can't do anything about that, sorry. [1] :-(

Almost all games I've tried are "scene" ones and most of them work fine.

[1] Well, there is some compilation flags to Frodo which can affect this, but I'd like a generic way of handling it (since other games fail instead then!)

I've released version 3, which fixes the embarassing classic controller problem and some other issues. I simply went and bought one and tested it, and not everything worked as I thought :-) (Thanks also to the various people who reported problems with the classic controller)

A note about the speed: I've fiddled a bit more with that here, and the issue is (obviously) not that the Wii is too slow to emulate a C64. I think SDL_GetTicks() and/or SDL_Delay() behaves strange somehow, so I've replaced that particular part of the implementation. Speed is also configurable now.

More on http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo as usual.

No need to do an announcement for this one. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonKagstrom View Post
    I've released version 3, which fixes the embarassing classic controller problem and some other issues. I simply went and bought one and tested it, and not everything worked as I thought :-) (Thanks also to the various people who reported problems with the classic controller)

A note about the speed: I've fiddled a bit more with that here, and the issue is (obviously) not that the Wii is too slow to emulate a C64. I think SDL_GetTicks() and/or SDL_Delay() behaves strange somehow, so I've replaced that particular part of the implementation. Speed is also configurable now.

More on http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo as usual.

No need to do an announcement for this one. :-)
    Hey your on fire with the new releases! ...will try this out in a bit.

Out of interest have you managed to get Creatures 1&2, R-type, North & South or Battle Chess working?

Quote Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
    Hey your on fire with the new releases! ...will try this out in a bit.

Out of interest have you managed to get Creatures 1&2, R-type, North & South or Battle Chess working?
    It's weekend :-) (And v2 had some embarassing bugs...)

I've only tried Creatures 1 with the same results as you. I guess these won't work, unfortunately. What you can test is to download frodo for your host computer and try around there, at least the turn-around time is shorter that way!

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for porting Frodo! I was hoping that someone would get a C64 emu for the Wii! That said, I'm having a few issues....1) I can't use my keyboard with it - now, maybe that not something that is supposed to work just yet on the Wii - but it would be nice. 2) Same as a few other people, I can't get any games to run. I used to have Frodo on my Palm PDA, and had had a bunch of working games - I can't find them now, so I downloaded about 15 games (.d64) the other day and can't get any of them to work. I understand that that's beyond your control, but maybe you could post a site that has working (mostly) roms for Frodo? Then again, that just may take more homework on my part....Thanks again for the great work!

Mayhem in Monsterland is another that doesn't seem to play ball. Anyone found a working version of that game?

Dropzone is working sweet though.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi Simon

Thank you so much for porting Frodo to Wii. I would really like to play all those old games on my tv again.

However, I can't get this to work. I have tried with 15-20 different games and not a single one of them will load. I to as follow (I am at work now so I don't remember the exact name of the menu items):

Enter the menu and choose Insert disk or tape and choose the game I want with A button.
    Enter the menu again and choose Load disk or tape with A button.

Whnat happens is that it writes load"*",8,1 and executes that. I don't have time enough to see what it is writing before it the screen is cleared and it writes READY. If I try to choose load again from the menu it writes load"*",8,1 and deletes it again without executing the command. It does that until I choose Reset C64 from the menu and start all over again. Same thing happens for all games.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thank you

LOAD "*",8,1 loads the first program on the disk and that can sometimes be nothing or not what you want to run.

For some games you will need to do something like the steps below but that will be too much hassle with the current typing method:

1) Insert a disk and type LOAD "$",8
    2) Type LIST. You should see a list of program files.
    3) Find out what program you want to load and type LOAD "name of program",8,1
    4) When the program has loaded, type RUN
    Last edited by Sektor; January 16th, 2009 at 15:39.

@petspeed: What I can recommend (besides what sektor wrote) is to try the games on Frodo on your host.

The next release will be based on FrodoSC, which will improve emulation somewhat (but don't expect miracles).

I've released version 4 now. As always, see http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo for more information and http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com for download and source.

The most important changes are these:

* Merge with Frodo CVS trunk and build FrodoSC instead of "plain" Frodo. This should improve emulation of some games, although not all.
    * Save preferences together with the state when saving states. Useful e.g., to have game-specific key bindings
    * Build with Yohanes version of libSDL. Perhaps that adds USB keyboard support, but I have no way of testing. Please fix the code if it doesn't work :-)
    * Some key binding bugs fixed
    * Some more menu options to control various things

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information