Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Do You Think Arcades Failed In The USA?

I thought it was obvious, apparently not judging my some of the comments. To put it simple, there used to be a big gap between the power of a console compared to the power of an arcade, and that difference in power was awesome. Once that gap diminished, so did the technological specialness of the arcade. I remembered being wowed the 1st time I saw MKII, it looked incredible.

Arcades died because the games became more specialized and difficult. Most of the "casual gamers" were scared off.

Fighting games became the standard in arcades. These games remained stagnant until most people had left the arcade scene. There needs to be more innovation in the genre.

The arcade scene needs another SF2 or DDR type game that makes arcades feel fresh again. Relatively simple games that can be played by beginners or by experts and enjoyed at almost any level of play.

DCEmu Old Pro

Arcades need more variety in game genre's that they just don't get anymore. You go into an arcade and all you see is DDR variants and nothing else, what happened to all the brawlers, side scrollers and flight sim games? Heck, what happened to the sit-down cabinets that had rumble like OutRun did?

DCEmu Newbie

If all this is true and arcades failed in America because of consoles and graphics and what not.Why are arcades alives in other countries such as Japan and Korea?

I think that the market for arcades here in the states have been marginilized so bad (by game consoles/portable game systems/lack of general interest/rising costs to manufacturer, coin-op operators and vendors) that arcade owners and vendors alike have had to put the bulk of arcade machines to the bigger venues for increased sustainability (like Chuck E. Cheese or Ground Kontrol).

I still visit my local arcade! It is called TILT and its awesome. Where else would I spend my quarters, Laundry I think not! haha

They are just a bit harder to find now but, they are not complete failures.

Another spot I LOVE is called Nickle Nickle where you guessed it, all arcade games are a NICKLE There used to be a funcoland near my house before too but that got shut down... its now a GameStop OH THE HORROR!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information