Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nincest progress (Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP)

Blog Entries

Default Nincest progress (Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP)

PSMonkey posted this news on his site:

"Our fellow monkey Wally has discovered something interesting. He has found a way to make waverace 64 show the n64 logo. It's a rather interesting hack. Whats going on is waverace progresses far enough to setup the n64 logo into the framebuffer but then haults on an unemulated opcode. So by supressing the unemulated opcodes for now the emulator is able to loop long enough for the video code to force a vsync and make the emulator draw the framebuffer to the screen. So why does this matter? It shows the emulator can progress further then originaly though. It does not mean we are close to running comercial roms yet but it does mean with a little more work we could start seeing more results.

So we will have to see how things progress. So huge credit to wally for finding the hack & $n!pR for his continual testing of the emulator for me.

More info here --> http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/

Well done Wally :P None of us had a clue when you mentioned waverace in the other thread, but this sounds uber-promising. I wish you guys luck!

PSP Coder

Small Update. Check the post on my site again. It now comes with a pretty picture.

Yes, Great work Wally. Thanks for the update PSmonkey. Appreciate it.

Doesn't the N64 and PSP use the exact same CPU (R4000)? Shouldn't it be possible to just run the code directly instead of trying to emulate it (ala QEMU)?

DCEmu Rookie

god bless you for even attempting this

Wow an n64 emulator... When you guys are are able to emulate commercial roms, work on making Legend of Zelda and Mystical ninja starring goemon fully compatible cuz i just love those games to death. Maybe this N64 emulator idea will inspire someone to make a PS1 Emulator!!

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by nonarKitten
    Doesn't the N64 and PSP use the exact same CPU (R4000)? Shouldn't it be possible to just run the code directly instead of trying to emulate it (ala QEMU)?
    Yes and no. Alot of the addresses and etc will have to be interperated & also the n64 suports double floating point precission where the psp only does single. This will cause alot of problems but I think a solid dynamic recompiler and interperter should alow for pretty decent n64 emulation on the psp.

The biggest thing psp has going for it vs other systems is being mips based. This will heavly help out on n64 & ps1 emulation.

DCEmu Regular

and you can't forget the video and sound hardware...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information