Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony: ‘Resistance Retribution’ Does Not Have a $60 Cheat Code

Blog Entries

General games Sony: ‘Resistance Retribution’ Does Not Have a $60 Cheat Code

Players of the upcoming PSP game “Resistance: Retribution” will be able to unlock several otherwise-inaccessible features in the game if they also own the $60 “Resistance 2.” Is that a fair deal?
    On Friday morning I went to the basement level of a Manhattan restaurant in order to be shown what the PS3 can do for Sony’s next big PSP game.
    “Resistance: Retribution,” a March 17 third-person shooter from Sony Bend, was wired to a PS3 in an alcove that would normally be used to feed a family of four. A flat-screen TV was on the table, and a Sony producer wanted to show me the two ways the PSP and PS3 could connect in order to enhance the handheld game.
    A PSP-Plus feature allowed the game to be controlled with a PS3 controller, transferring the controls from the single-stick PSP scheme to a dual-stick via the PS3 controller. The transfer deactivated the game’s aim-assist feature. The game’s controls page changed to display a PS3 schematic instead of a PSP. I was told the game might control more conventionally this way, but would be more challenging to play.

The other feature, Infected Mode, was a lot more involved.
    It changed the game’s lead-character, James Grayson, by infecting him with an enemy Chimera virus, turning his eyes orange and changing his outfit.
    It dropped the game’s health-pack-oriented health system (and eliminated health packs from the game), replacing it with the “Halo“-style regenerating health seen in the bulk of both “Resistance” PS3 games.
    It gave the lead character the ability to breathe underwater.
    It armed him with a new weapon from “Resistance 2,” the HE .44 Magnum.
    It changed the game’s cut-scenes and dialogue, which now reflected the wariness allied characters have of the infected lead guy.
    It pulled a “LEGO Star Wars” and allowed Chimera-locked doors to open and grant access to hidden areas and Intel.
    It did a lot.
    None of these features is accessible to people who just buy the PSP game. They are all only experienced by anyone who hooks the PSP game to the PS3’s “Resistance 2.” I asked the Sony reps showing the game if, as cool as all this was, it amounted to a $60 cheat code. After all, it’s not like there’s anything on the “Resistance 2″ disc making this possible other than some sort of digital handshake. Their answer was that “Resistance Retribution” is already “a full experience.” They described the game as lasting 12 hours without the Infected mode. The additions earned through connecting the two games? They say it’s a bonus for fans of the series who own multiple copies.
    The Infected Mode lingersin the PSP game as long as the system is powered on or asleep. It is removed when the system is powered down, which means players wouldn’t be able to rent a copy of “Resistance 2″ and permanently unlock Infected Mode in “Retribution.” You’d need to own it.
    Infected Mode can be used strategically. The PSP game will allow re-Infections at any point throughout its campaign, which will allow some players, if they’re in a bind, to briefly Infect their game if they think the alternate play style is what the need to proceed.
    So… fair deal? Is this a welcome reward for those who own both games, one that doesn’t slight purchasers of just the PSP game? Or is it a $60 cheat code? You decide.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/...de/#more-18949

This is why it is good to own the games you like... I think this is more of a reward on Sony's part than a "$60 cheat code"

Sony is simply rewarding those that are loyal to them... Isn't that good?

P.S: Plus, if you ask me, its a genius marketing manouver... That why they can incite people into buying Resistance 2 also. Also it is another thing people begged for and that is PSP-PS3 connectivity/interactivity. There's still lot to be done, but they are on the right track.
    Last edited by kyyubidx; February 9th, 2009 at 18:39.

DCEmu Legend

There is nothing wrong with this at all. I think its great. I do have Resistance 2 for the PS3 and after playing the DEMO for Resistance Retribution on the PSP I can say that both games are worth owning / playing.

I would like to see more games utilize this type of interaction between PS3/PSP.

I have to disagree with the first two responses.

I don't own a PS3, or ever plan to get one. So why should I get less of the full game content because I haven't shelled out a ridiculous amount of money for a mediocre console?

It's just another way to try and hook you / stick it to you, IMHO.

Is the FPS genre so stagnant that this is the best 'new game mechanic' they can come up with? Please.

Did you read right? The game is complete without the PS3. It is just an extra bonus.

And the FPS genre isn't stagnated... It's overly saturated... There's WAAAYY too many.

Developers need to aim for less used genres like Graphical Adventure... THere's lots of potential in less used genres if you know how to tap into it
    Last edited by kyyubidx; February 9th, 2009 at 20:09.

The FPS genre is only saturated on the home consoles (Xbox360, PS3), the PSP has very little library on the FPS genre, there's only two tittles and their respective sequels.

On topic, I don't consider this as a 60 bucks cheat code, you're getting another game not just the cheat, and I mean Resistance 2, not infected mode.

And also in the end someone will crack this open and add the infected feature for the people who doesn't have a PS3 or Resistance 2, so why worry about it?

I plan on getting a PS3 sometime this year, and this feature seems really nice, although it also feels a little like a douche move from $ony.

meeh!, both games look great, so why not get both?

Blog Entries

personally i cant wait for another decent fps for the PSP

PSP User

Personally, I don't care because odds are someone will find a way to use CWCheat to unlock infected mode without a PS3.

Who cares? Someone will hack the PSP version using a homebrew app to unlock infected mode anyway.

Seeing as that $60 buys you another complete game i really cant see how this $60 cheat code idea can be taken seriously.

Also, if the game stays infected during sleep, then you can keep it infected indefinitely. The PSP lasts days in sleep mode, and all you need to do is keep it charged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information