Thread: PSP to get e-mail, GPS addon in 2006

Blog Entries

Thumbs up PSP to get e-mail, GPS addon in 2006

Our friends over at PSP Vault posted this news:

<blockquote>There's been speculation for both, but now we have something solid: according to a recent article in PSM (viewable on the nightmarish official PlayStation forums), the PSP will be getting both e-mail capability (through a free firmware update) and a GPS addon. Both will arrive sometime this year.

The e-mail functionality, dubbed Sony Mail, is said to associate your PSP's unique hardware identification code with a new (Sony-branded?) e-mail address. Presumably this is to avoid tedious password entry, although it seems likely that we'll still have to key in our e-mails via our favourite gadget's amazing text entry scheme. Associating the address with your specific PSP machine also brings up the question of whether you could access this e-mail elsewhere--one would hope so.

The GPS addon was one of those things Sony teased us with at E3 two years ago and promised to never ever release, so I guess someone down in Tokyo's losing their job tonight. Apparently it will come in a bundle with a UMD containing maps and such. I think if this is reasonably-priced, say $50-60 or so (that'd be a wild guess, guys), it would be extremely competitive with standalone GPS navigation systems for cars, which easily cost as much as a PSP and a few games. PSM also says you'll be able to purchase future map updates on separate UMDs, since apparently someone at Sony forgot about this 'internet' thing again.

Details are light on both items for now, but it's fair to say the PSP's multifunctionality just keeps getting more interesting.</blockquote>

Can the PSP be turned into a Killer Satnav, lets hope so

i hope that we can get a type of satelite internet that you can access anywhere with the gps device and that they plan to introduce a sony psp compatible keyboard like they use to have with their palm pilots

DCEmu Newbie

i would so upgrade for a good gps on the psp

Default lol.

sure sure the E-MAIL is kinda cool and the GPS is just maps (wtf?? thats not gps) but i wont upgrade and lose homebrew for a stupid email thing. i can just use my lap top if i want portable email lol

LAP TOPS RULE!!!!
    (and so do desktops except for my desktop >.< )

DCEmu Newbie

Talking

i would upgrade for a good gps even tho i love my homebrews so i hope they make a eboot for it and i hope its good gps not a cruddy half fast one

I'd buy a second PSP to use the GPS feature (if it required a firmware update).

I have been holding out on buying a sat nav system for my car (partly due to the fact I failed my test and am waiting to re-take) in the hope that Sony do release a GPS system for the PSP. I mean alot of people are being quite negative but I think it is brilliant.

Fair enough, the email isnt a biggy, i mean we can use Gmail etc on our PSP's 2.0 browsers already so unless it sends email via the GPS system instead of needing an internet connection then it wont make much difference if theres email or not.

But I think the GPS system has the potential to be quite a good addition. I know that alot of "executive" types would like to have a PSP take pride of place on the Windscreen or dash of their new 6 series BMW. It may end up attracting a whole new target audience if as wragster mentioned the price is right.

I would preffer to pay about £70 and use my PSP as a Sat Nav system than go out and pay £150 + for a standalone unit. I am pretty sure that sony will bundle in the respective maps with the GPS unit in their respective territories. Not sure if they will opt for a European maps or go with specific countries though

meh...sonys just trying to tempt us to update with all this just so they can say "gotcha" an take away our precious homebrew & Emus.....as for buying a second PSP for GPS, that makes no sense. The PSP is $200 plus the GPS add on is at least $50...you could buy one of the most amazing GPS units for $250

The PSP homebrew scene is turning into a win win situation for Sony. I too would be willing on purchasing a 2nd PSP if the updated firmware features become valuable enough. But I could never let go of my PSP homebrew. This just helps the PSP Sales and Sony. Hopefully some better UMD games will become available.

Thread Information