Thread: Google Attacks Microsoft's Browser Monopoly

Blog Entries

Forum Google Attacks Microsoft's Browser Monopoly

Oh the irony. Google wants to join the European Union's antitrust case against Microsoft, all while at home Obama's antitrust chief wants to nail them to a sign that says "Don't be evil."

According to Google's Sundar Pichai, vice president for product management:

Google believes that the browser market is still largely uncompetitive, which holds back innovation for users. This is because Internet Explorer is tied to Microsoft's dominant computer operating system, giving it an unfair advantage over other browsers.

I bet the Firefox and Apple browser teams, currently with 21.5 and 8.3 percent of the market, don't give this a lot of thinking. Does Google-with only 1 percent of the market-think that Microsoft should not include Internet Explorer in their operating system? Maybe they want them to include Chrome as well? Should Google include MSN Search and Yahoo in their Android cellphones too?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5160082/google-...owser-monopoly

I think that IE should be included with the Windows OS, but I dislike the fact how you can't uninstall it after using it to download Firefox (Who's first task when getting a new PC is to do that.) =P

Google Chrome is far too basic to be a fully fledged Browser anyway at the moment, but at least they "kinda'" gave the other Competing browsers a voice too. =P

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post
    Google Chrome is far too basic to be a fully fledged Browser anyway at the moment, but at least they "kinda'" gave the other Competing browsers a voice too. =P
    I use Chrome instead of Firefox. What is basic about it? As far as I can tell, it does everything Firefox does but is faster.

Blog Entries

i use chrome onn some sites where i cannt copy the titles for newsposts, other than that i still use IE and reason why is i like my faves on the left hand side

Quote Originally Posted by WhizzBang View Post
    I use Chrome instead of Firefox. What is basic about it? As far as I can tell, it does everything Firefox does but is faster.
    Clearly you're unfamiliar with one of Firefox's most defining features: plug-ins. Google Chrome has no such thing, meaning customization and expandability is severely limited, a.k.a. it's "basic."

Additions such as the AdBlockPlus plug-in ensure I'll be using Firefox for many years to come.

Blog Entries

yeah i tried a plugin thats supposed to make fireox like IE but it didnt work the same

Quote Originally Posted by Auriman1 View Post
    Clearly you're unfamiliar with one of Firefox's most defining features: plug-ins.
    Yes, I am unfamiliar with them, other than Flash plug ins which all browsers can install, I think. What are some good ones then?

My personal favorite is the AdBlockPlus plug-in, for use in jamming not only pop-ups, but advertisement banners, and anything else you specify. It cuts back bandwidth usage, internet clutter, and the chance of viruses.

Here's their site: http://adblockplus.org/en/

Unless you buy one of their filter packs, you need to enter the filters yourself, however.
    Here's a few scripts which I use:
    /http:\/\/.*\/ads\//
    ?_?ad?

For other advertisement sites, just take the name of the site as you come across them, and put a "*" at the end to jam anything coming from them.
    Example: http://devart.adbureau.net/*

For other plugins and additions, here's the official add-on section of the Mozilla website:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
    Last edited by Auriman1; February 26th, 2009 at 21:43.

Thread Information