Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Longer Will Physical Game Distribution Survive?

Blog Entries

General games How Much Longer Will Physical Game Distribution Survive?

GamesIndustry is running an interview with Theodore Bergquist, CEO of GamersGate, in which he forecasts the death of physical game distribution in favor of digital methods, perhaps in only a few years. He says, "Look at the music industry, look at 2006 when iTunes went from not being in the top six of sellers — in the same year in December it was top three, and the following year number one. I think digital distribution is absolutely the biggest threat [traditional retailers] can ever have." Rock, Paper, Shotgun spoke with Capcom's Christian Svensson, who insists that developing digital distribution is one of their top priorities, saying Capcom will already "probably do as much digital selling as retail in the current climate." How many of the games you acquire come on physical media these days? At what point will the ease of immediate downloads outweigh a manual and a box to stick on your shelf (if it doesn't already)?

http://games.slashdot.org/games/09/03/05/0655225.shtml

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

When people get bored of paying £40+ for something they can physically own and touch....

When I can buy a card in a store to use to buy all my games (not a credit card, I mean like the psn points cards)

And when they include manuals in online downloads

I will never switch to all download. Never!

I like adding to my games collection on my shelf.

Also, boxed games have re-sale value.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

i will and sometimes do buy small programs that do not cost much without media

BUT when i laying down 60 bucks for a game then yea i want a disk, i have a pretty large collection of old but fun computer games (hell i still have wing commander 2 on 5&1/4, yea i have a drive too) most of my ps1 games, and my most treasured sega genesis carts

also internet speeds, the psp has a what 11mbs connection, which is still 10mbs faster than my internet connection, which may surprise you is a average speed for most people in the world with "broadband" ... yea let me pay you 60 bucks and take a week to download a blu-ray, or even a 8gig dvd

online distribution is already working for a certain crowd, but its not going to replace physical media for a while

Digital distribution is good for retro, indie, and smaller games... That's it.

If I'm paying $60 for something when it's released, I damn well better have something to physically hold and, as Triv said, add to my collection.

Also, if digital distribution was the only method, then you'd have to get that console out every time you wanted to play a specific game. No backwards compatibility! Well, unless you want to buy it again on another console if it's rereleased.

DCEmu Newbie

Itunes only flourished because of the Ipod. Online distribution for games has a piece missing to make it so successful....portable, easy, reliable. Also with buying games online for pc...patches are released quicker and easier for retail bought games....except when it's a game off of steam.

If I'm paying money for it, I expect a physical product, plain and simple.

When it's digital, they can start slipping things in, like limited installations, "no resale," and the ever popular "service no longer supported."

DCEmu Regular

Think about it. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo the sole masters of the pricing structure. Damn that's a scary thought. This will probably be the time when I return to pc to get me some pirated games again. I just cannot financially support such a system.

And you all know that even though this should make distribution much cheaper the prices will be stay up or even be raised because of a world with almost no competition.

DCEmu Regular

I never have been a fan of the digital distribution. I like the downloadble content stuff, but not for actually buying a game. I'd rather deal with just ordering it online and waiting for it in the mail, or heaven forbid I walk into a Gamestop to buy it. It's just like CD's for me. I have to physically have it. You know for a fact the games that are digitally distributed are going to be the same damn price. Games should be at least 15 dollars less with out the physical case and manuals, or cd/dvd/dvd dl/BRD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information