Thread: Review: Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX2

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

xbox 360 Review: Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX2

Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX2
    Manufacturer: Hori
    Site: Buy from GoldenShop
    Price: $79.00

Overview : Now you have a complete fighting chance on your XBOX360. The Hori Arcade Fighting Stick for your XBOX360 is the premier fighting game fans' stick of choice. Stick features authentic Japanese style convex button layout & solid state mechanics.

Features :
    • Officially licensed for Xbox 360™
    • Same style as arcade design
    • Recommended for fighting and classic arcade games that are available on Xbox Live
    • Comfortable button layout: The lever and buttons are designed and placed on same layout as the arcade for maximum comfort.
    • Expansion port included: The port allows you to attach your headset to this unit!

Quality/Usability : Let me start off by saying that all the Xbox 360 Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX2's are the same with the only difference being the artwork whether it be plain EX2, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive or Virtua Fighter.

The Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX2 does not feel heavy as it weighs a couple of pounds and is reasonably sized so that it will fit comfortably on your lap (measures 11" (W) x 8" (L) x 1½" (H)). The casing of the EX2 is made of white plastic. On the left, you have your joystick. To the right, you have your standard buttons such as A, B, X, Y as well as LT and RT. The top contains the LB, SELECT, Xbox 360 Guide with indicators, START and RB. Towards the bottom is an expansion port to connect your communication headset. The USB cord on the stick is fairly long (approximately 5-6 feet long) that you don't have to sit so close and it features a quick disconnect cord in case someone trips over it, it wont knock your stick or your console over.

Connecting the EX2 is simply plug and play. Plug the USB cord to the front of the Xbox360 and press the Xbox Guide to activate and power the stick. The EX2 works with all games but with the layout of buttons, it may be hard to play with. With fighting games, you would be able to configure the buttons to your liking while majority of games, you can't. So this should be used with fighting games or XBLA games.

While playing Street Fighter IV with the EX2, the controls were responsive. I'm not that big on fighting games but I play it once in a while. I felt that the EX2 pulled off majority of the moves that I wanted to do. I also tend to be a button masher and the EX2 withstood my bashings. The joystick clicked at every location I moved it to. However, the buttons did not click like the arcades. It had a mushy feel to it unlike the arcade as it is missing microswitches. The 6 buttons also have a domed shape top to it. It would have been better if the buttons were concave. This would of made the experience better.

The parts used on the EX2 are stock and good but not as great as Sanwa or HAPP parts. These parts are used in arcades and in tournaments. If you're skilled and brave enough, you can mod the EX2 with these parts but I heard the EX2 is difficult to mod (link on how to mod below).

Conclusion : Overall, the Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX2 is a sturdy arcade stick. If you're a hardcore gamer who's into fighting games, you might want to stay away from this. Either get a better high end fighting stick or get a custom one with better parts. For those who are novice or rarely play fighting games like myself, may want to look into this. However, for something you'll probably rarely use, $80 is a bit pricey. But if you can find this cheaper, it worth taking a look. Do know that this will not replace your regular controller.

If you're really brave or skilled with hacking accessories or electronics, you can mod and upgrade your EX2 with Sanwa or HAPP parts by following this guide, here is another or how about this one. There are probably more guides or tutorials by searching Google.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 00:22.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Acorn Electron User

It's a pretty decent stick assuming you're not paying the over inflated prices that Street Fighter IV fever has caused.

I was lucky enough to get one (a Virtua Figter 5 one) just prior to Soul Calibur IVs release and paid about 30 whole english pounds for it on Amazon. It's been good so far, certainly more than good enough for my feeble skills, although in my case the headset is more noisy via this compared to the stardard 360 controller. I like it - it reminds me of the Dreamcast one.

My main complaint is that there could do with being more space to rest your wrists at the front end of the base. The DC's arcade stick's buttons were placed further back which I think was more comfortable.
    Last edited by beetroot bertie; March 9th, 2009 at 22:03.

I need a stick so bad XD

Thread Information