Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PSP] Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max Review

Blog Entries

Default [PSP] Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max Review

Our Friends at SuccessHK have posted a review of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, heres the full review:

<blockquote>Street Fighter Alpha 3 is widely regarded as one of the best 2D fighting games of all time. It's still a blast to play today -- with loads of fighters, great gameplay, and a ton of modes. A pared-down GBA port kept the fundamentals, but leave it to the PSP to bring back all that made the console versions great, plus much more.
    This baby's got it all. Start with the roster, which is arguably the best in the genre. All your old Street Fighter favorites return -- you've got Alpha exclusives like Rose and Adon, while four new butt-kickers on the block show up. The SFA rookies aren't the most dynamic lot, but adding to such a powerful cast is never a bad thing.

Alpha 3 MAX has almost as many modes as characters. World Tour mode is an amazing single-player experience, adding RPG elements to your fighting. Then there's good ol' arcade, several combinations of two-on-one bouts, and a tag mode for up to three-on-three. Putting a twist on Survival, Vs. 100 Kumite has you brawling with 100 fighters in a row; but instead of ending when you lose, the train keeps on rolling until you've fought all 100. Don't worry, you'll still be able to play the beloved Survival against multiple opponents simultaneously -- it's still one of the best modes in the game.

Ad-hoc multiplayer supports almost every single game type, and is a definite boon to SFA 3 MAX's enjoyment. It's a shame Capcom didn't include Internet support on top of it. Playing against players all over the world -- like the Xbox Street Fighter Anniversary -- would've made things that much sweeter.

In terms of graphics and sound, this game does right by the PSP. The character sprites are so much smoother than other versions, with bright and vivid backgrounds. Street Fighter Alpha 3 looks as good as 2D can. The music sounds great, as does the announcer and fighter voices. Neither audio nor graphics push the PSP to its limits, but it's an aesthetically pleasing title to be sure. The only thing missing is a replay of the closing moments of a fight -- something Capcom has neglected to include for some time.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 allows you to pick an -ism to cater to your particular style. X-ism is n00b-friendly; A-ism is middle road; V-isms are for those creative enough to craft custom combos. All the intricacies of gameplay are here -- guard breaks, throw escapes, air blocks, etc. This portable port doesn't skimp on any of the action.

So far so good, right? You may be wondering why the score isn't higher. Though it isn't necessarily the game's fault, Alpha 3 MAX just doesn't control as well as it should. The PSP's d-pad is not made for fighting-game inputs, which leads to much frustration. You can use the analog nub, but that's no satisfactory solution, either. Capcom even lets you map any type of attack -- super combos included -- to any button, but that's the definition of cheap play. There's simply no perfect way to control things. With such a tight fighting system and the need to be in the zone, gameplay-wise, this is a huge hindrance to your enjoyment.

In Japan (and directly through Capcom's site), players can get a d-pad add-on for the PSP, but this causes more harm than good -- it's nigh-impossible to remove and voids your warranty.

In all other ways besides control, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX is a 2D fight fan's dream come true. It's more than worth the struggle with the d-pad, as there's so much to love and immerse yourself in with this game. It's packed with fighters, modes, and phenomenal fighting, and will enjoy a long reign as the top fighter for PSP. If only it got along better with our thumbs...</blockquote>

Where can we get a SFA3M "D-PAD" !?
    Later,

TSR

Does this require a firmware upgrade? I have an original 1.5, and I don't want to mess with the upgrading/downgrading, and I have no desire to buy GTA just for the homebrew, as awesome as it is.

DCEmu Newbie

Yup requires FW 2.5

With regards to the D-pad attachment, if you order through Capcom's site, you get one with it - However it voids your warrenty if you use it?!

I am not getting this game, I'm happy with the SNES version of SFA2 on my PSP. Don't want to give up all the homebrew for this game

You can make your own d-pad mod here: http://ufighterx.com/guides/videogam...pspdpadfix.htm

DCEmu Regular

This game will work on a 2.0 firmware using Pspsetx to 2.5 / 2.6 but you will not get any background music which ruins the atmosphere.

DCEmu Newbie

what is the D-pad for?

Firmware 2.5? What? My friend pre-ordered it and went and got it the day it came out and it requires 2.0 here in Florida...I don't know were you live but it sucks that your game needs 2.5 to play . And to answer the last post...the D-pad is for better directions...you know, for when you get lost???
    ...Dude...it's for actually enjoying this game without constant thumb-soreness and Very Easy-mode CPU humiliation.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Apoklepz
    Firmware 2.5? What? My friend pre-ordered it and went and got it the day it came out and it requires 2.0 here in Florida...I don't know were you live but it sucks that your game needs 2.5 to play . And to answer the last post...the D-pad is for better directions...you know, for when you get lost???
    ...Dude...it's for actually enjoying this game without constant thumb-soreness and Very Easy-mode CPU humiliation.
    Are you sure it's not Street Fighter Zero 3? The import is 2.0 cause my friend has the import. So I thought "Sweet I can buy Alpha 3" Get it home and was mad to see it was 2.5. Was looking forward to trying Flashmod v3.0 to see if that would load it, but it looks like I'll have to wait a while longer.

DCEmu Newbie

Street Fighter Zero 3 And Street Fighter Alpha 3 what is the deference?

DCEmu Regular

the only difference is that in japan Street Fighter Alpha is called Street Fighter Zero. Also some characters are named differently/switched around. That's really it. It seems though that the US and Jap psp versions use different firmwares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information