Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast SD Adaptor Coming Soon - Show Your Interest to Reserve One

DCEmu Newbie

Just to clarify to everyone interested in this, there is no way to load illegally downloaded games, or personally made back-ups of your games through this SD adapter.

It's purpose would be to supplement homebrew games, emulators, and utilities. It would also provide writable capabilities to the above mentioned uses, for example: Capability for the development of an operating system (OS) for the DC, or allowing VMU save transfers to and from your PC.

That being said I'll be waiting, waiting, waiting...

DCEmu Newbie

Yes what you have said is very correct. I see this as being the most important homebrew app that has been made for the DC as it opens new possibilities to the system. I will be very excited when I hear that OS's or emulators are taking advantage of this. I think the developer of the technology should take pre orders and then get the serial connectors made at a factory somewhere in china. Realistically there is a market for about 200-300 people. I could be wrong though. But look at the success of Pier Solar for the Megadrive. The Euro version has already sold out and it isnt even finished yet. This would suggest not to under estimate the popularity of Retro!

Anyways as there isnt a cable in production yet and possibly might not be I think its important for a detailed tutorial to made about how to make an inbuild one to the dreamcast which doesnt need the serial connector. I think I may do this as I have experience modding electronics but I havent been able to find any info on it. This would increase the amount of users with SD card slots and hopefully then encourage developers to support it.
    Last edited by MAXIMUSpowers; September 2nd, 2009 at 10:46.

DCEmu Newbie

OK ive found a diagram so i know how to build one. If I bought a job lot of the correct capacitors and PCB sockets(so you can easily disconnect it) would anyone be interested in buying them from me? You could either make an internal or external one without the need for a serial cable which are now very very difficult and expensive to come by.

My intentions are not to make a profit but instead to help people get an SD card adapter added to there DC without all the technical confusion surrounding what components to buy. This in turn would encourage developers to take advantage of the SD card function and therefore contribute to the community .

I may also write a tutorial.

Let me know if you are interested. liam(dot)d(dot)nicoll(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk
    Last edited by MAXIMUSpowers; September 1st, 2009 at 14:39.

DCEmu Newbie

i think that ppl who brought all this to this forum have forgotten to do some wip report...

Hey all, I just have one quick thing to say about the "can I load romz on it?" situation.

(not condoning it at all here)

People, it's gonna happen one way or another. Hell, if someone didn't crack the dreamcast's protection scheme, we wouldn't have homebrew at all. So, while piracy isn't exactly good for business, I view it as a necessary evil.

It's kinda like the drug problem - while some drugs have medical value and the potential to save lives, it's impossible to stop someone from lighting up a fat one.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by neckilljo View Post
    i think that ppl who brought all this to this forum have forgotten to do some wip report...
    AFAIK there has been no progress. They announced this prior to finding a good source for link cables. A few were made, and the spanish DC devs have them.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

I remember seeing about 10 link cable for like £1-£2 each when all the shops were clearing out there dc stock.... should have picked them up

DCEmu Coder

The last time I bid on a link cable on eBay, it finished at almost $70... for a simple cable! If it wasn't for the custom connectors, the cable would sell for maybe $3 at most.

DCEmu Newbie

Hey MAXIMUSpowers - i just added you on hotmail

I'd be after one mate, if you could let me know if you can make me one.

If not/maybe aswell I'll still buy one from the other site.

Can I please reserve one :-)
    Last edited by spinksy; September 14th, 2009 at 23:48.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi Spinksy. My original intention wasnt to actually make everyone one but instead sell them the parts to make one themselves. The benefit of my method is that it does not require an expensive serial cable(costing up to £70) but has to be hard wired inside the system. Are you experienced with modding i.e. soldering? I havent actually made one myself yet but have looked inside to see the procedure. This would be quite a difficult mod for a new comer to soldering as there are some small solder points. I was thinking of possibly setting up a system where people can send me their dreamcasts and i do it for them and send it back. I would charge around £20 for this to cover components,time and risk.

You would receive a dreamcast with an internal SD card slot located on the front of the system. Essentially looking like this minus the led light. http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako...d_layout_1.jpg

Ill update you on this after i have done a few trial runs with my dreamcasts.
    Last edited by MAXIMUSpowers; September 17th, 2009 at 09:47.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information